most popular gas system di direct impingement or gas piston?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > most popular gas system di direct impingement or gas piston?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default most popular gas system di direct impingement or gas piston?

What do you have? What do you prefer?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #2

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abc1911
What do you have? What do you prefer?
Whats the diffrence between gas and piston

Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Piston connects the bolt carrier to a piston that extends into the gas tube. When the gas goes through the tube it acts directly on the piston and pushes the bolt carrier back into the receiver.

With DI the gas enters the bolt carrier and spreads the carrier and bolt apart. As it spreads the carrier is pushed backwards from that force alone, kind of like a swimmer pushing off the end of a pool. Recoil is much lighter this way. Less stress on your rifle as well. Only problem is fouling inside the carrier and some seepage into the receiver. It's no big deal. The upper receiver comes right apart and you can remove your bolt and soak it in kerosene or whatever you're using to remove the carbon buildup.

Piston is seen as more reliable akin to the AK47. The AR adaption of the piston is not the same, though. The AK47 has loose tolerances throughout, while the AR is more of a modular precision instrument.

If you want to eliminate the recoil buffer tube, you'll require a piston setup that relocates the recoil spring to the piston. This is the only benefit I see from it, and it doesn't quite justify the price for me.

I'd prefer the lighter recoil of the DI. If you want a piston rifle, you can practically get two 5.57mm AK's for the cost of one mid grade factory AR.

Last edited by slog; 10-27-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #4

Likes Given: 23

I prefer the simplicity of the original DI system. Keep the rifle clean and it'll run fine.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner
I prefer the simplicity of the original DI system. Keep the rifle clean and it'll run fine.
He said it best. DI system , cleaning it after a range trip. And it will eat anything you feed it.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5664 Times on 2958 Posts
Likes Given: 375

I would argue that the ak47 is more like direct impingement than a piston. The ak doesnt have a seperate piston in a block up front that smacks an oprod. The whole thing moves rearward. The ak just has a very long gas key that extends up towards the gas block while the ar15 uses a tube to get the gas to the gas key on the bolt carrier.

I think its incorrect to say the ak47 is a gas piston gun as thereis no seperate piston transfering gas energy to an oprod.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

locutus Likes This 
Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5708 Times on 3227 Posts
Likes Given: 5137

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I would argue that the ak47 is more like direct impingement than a piston. The ak doesnt have a seperate piston in a block up front that smacks an oprod. The whole thing moves rearward. The ak just has a very long gas key that extends up towards the gas block while the ar15 uses a tube to get the gas to the gas key on the bolt carrier.

I think its incorrect to say the ak47 is a gas piston gun as thereis no seperate piston transfering gas energy to an oprod.
Excellent point, Jon. I'd never looked at it from that angle.

Winston Churchill

Old 10-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2558 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1286

Honestly it depends upon what the individual wants. In all my years with the AR-15 Rifle System and Direct Gas Impingement system I have never had any problems. This is due to the fact that all the weapons I have had has the correct Gas Port Hole and Buffer installed. So when it comes to reliability there are no difference in reliability which is the main factor. One thing I would suggest is that one needs to always cleaning the bore of the rifle with the Front Sight in the up wright position not in the down position allowing solvent to drain into the gas port hole. You have a hydraulic action when pushing the cleaning patch and solvent as well as gravity which could cause a problem. The Gas Piston System must also have the correct Gas Port Hole dimension. There are issues where people talk about the Gas Piston System keeping the Receiver cleaner and there is some truth to that. But who allows their weapon to get dirty to the point that either system stops working. Not most of us for sure. The only other issue is the AR Gas Piston System are more expensive. One other caution! Never buy a retrofit kit that is not completely designed to be a Piston System.
The Cam pin will eat out aluminum on the interior of the Receiver. The Bolt Carrier will tilt as it is forced back and begin to damage the Receiver, Extension Tube and Buffer Retainer area of the weapon. So for advise if you choose a Gas Piston System be sure it was designed from the ground up to be a Piston System. The one I prefer over the others is the Adams Arms Upper Receiver.
There are others out there that are OK!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 10-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #9

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I prefer direct gas impingment. As has been said it's simple and it works fine in a standard AR. Now if you want a short barrel or suppressed AR then there can be advantages to piston. 14" and up, not so much unless you've got a thing about white gloves.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Di wins by an overwelming numbers. And prolly by another factor of 10,000:1 if you factor leo/miltary procurements.