The Most Interesting AR Build - Page 14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The Most Interesting AR Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #131
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
True, but what do you think the Pmags would do in those tests? The sledgehammer? The shotgun?

Ha ha, My Ninja! I figured if you saw the product you would come around.
It would survive the sledgehammer, but probably not the shotgun (when are my mags going to be shot at by a 12 ga anyways? )

Yes I did. The thing that really sold me (other than the near indestructibility) was the sliding side that lets you load in unload in seconds.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #132
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
True, but what do you think the Pmags would do in those tests? The sledgehammer? The shotgun?

Ha ha, My Ninja! I figured if you saw the product you would come around.
ive got the camengas they are nice but they are long and heavy. substantially more so than the pmag. their length prevents use in most mag carriers. they dont work with the 458 socom either, causes stove pipe issues

i like the camenga mags but i prefer the pmag its just lighter and easier to use. if the pmag in my gun is getting runned over or shot with a shotgun ive got bigger issues than whether it will continue to function...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 09-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #133

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

And if you drop the PMags while loaded, they spew rounds out the top, which leaves you picking up ammo.

Every mag has it's downside. How many "upgrades" have we seen for existing magazine platforms over the years?

Look hard enough and you can find anyone having failures with products, even Pmags.

Cammenga has actually taken feed back from soldiers in the battlefield and they made the decision to make heat treated, steel magazines that will run in any condition.

Plastic is susceptible to tons of vulnerabilities, not the least of which could be fragments of any type of battlefield explosion or ricochet.

Carry what you want. But don't disregard a perfectly good product out of bias.

JD
Old 09-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #134

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I think the Cammenga mags are awesome. The only drawback is weight but for me that is worth it for how tough and dependable they are. YMMV.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
It would survive the sledgehammer, but probably not the shotgun (when are my mags going to be shot at by a 12 ga anyways? )
They were showing durability. Dzscubie and I met these guys at SHOT about 2 or 3 years ago. Great group of guys and they LOVE their product. They were really passionate about testing their mags against military mags and getting a government id so they could sell to all branches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Yes I did. The thing that really sold me (other than the near indestructibility) was the sliding side that lets you load in unload in seconds.
What I like is that I can open a box of Xm193, open the Cammenga and dump them right in. It's the perfect quick load interface.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:48 AM   #136
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
And if you drop the PMags while loaded, they spew rounds out the top, which leaves you picking up ammo.

Every mag has it's downside. How many "upgrades" have we seen for existing magazine platforms over the years?

Look hard enough and you can find anyone having failures with products, even Pmags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0dkHrVFOec

Cammenga has actually taken feed back from soldiers in the battlefield and they made the decision to make heat treated, steel magazines that will run in any condition.

Plastic is susceptible to tons of vulnerabilities, not the least of which could be fragments of any type of battlefield explosion or ricochet.

Carry what you want. But don't disregard a perfectly good product out of bias.

JD

afterwatching the video the fault is the gun not the mag. super light buffer and bcg "for competition". in such a gun mags are going to be iffy at best when its that far out of spec.

out of curiosity i went downstairs loaded up a camenga and a pmag with 62grain ss109 30 rounds each and another of each with 15 rounds each.

30 round drop test from shouldered ar15 hitting the mag release and letting the mags drop to the concrete floor.

cammenga 1 round volcano 5 times 2 round volcano 5 times each drop the sliding section of the mag would dislodge and slide down 9 times the rifle could still load and cycle without problems 1 drop the door slide far enough out of battery to prevent chambering a round.

pmag 8 times 1 round volcano 1 time 2 rounds 1 time no volcano. all drops was able to reinsert mag and continue cycling.

15 round partial load both mags 10 out of 10 2 round volcano both mags continued to cycle on reload.

scientific?? prolly not since i didnt use a control and just wanted a quick side by side. but its interesting and i need to retest at the range when i can shoot and drop then reinsert and shoot some more.

but from this quick dirty test the pmag performed on par with the camenga and in one instance continued to function when the camenga failed. i would say they are on par with each other. i can see with further testing the pmag might have a drop failure which wouldnt allow the gun to cycle on reinsertion.

both are great mags but neither are the end all be all of ar15 mag design.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

both are great mags but neither are the end all be all of ar15 mag design.
Which is my point in the first place. You hit ANY AR website and people are going to be pimping PMags. They have been "THE" mags to have for years now. The other option is people talking about "upgrading" the standard GI mags with what is classified as the "USGI Upgrade" or "Range Plate" with a new follower and a finger hole base plate.

PMags. I tried them. I didn't care for them, and admittedly part of that was everyone barking it in my ear for EVAH. They are plastic, which is fine for weight, but they are not as durable as other options.

I met the people from Cammenga at SHOT. I have said this before about NHC, but the people from Cammenga have a passion for what they are doing and they want to run head to head in every environment against the best of the best to test themselves.

I'll be honest, I am over 6' and over 250 pounds (right now), so weight of what I am carrying in my opinion is negated by what I "can" carry. In a "SHTF/BUG OUT" situation my ammo is going to be mostly part of a much larger, much more foundation built carry system that includes my off road vehicle, so I have "wiggle room" there. That is me, not anyone else.

The Cammengas have not failed me, ever. I can load them quick, I can step on them in a mag change and move situation, and they stay true.

PMags are great for those that want to consider cost and weight. Cammengas are a magazine that are more expensive, right now, and they are heavier.

But I can do anything to a Cammenga mag and not worry about it. I parked a wheel of my Chevy 1500 on it in another thread, so I do believe in them.

I just don't personally like PMag's and 90% of it comes down to two issues. 1) Fanboy constant mention. 2) Tactical Plastic.

YMMV.

JD

Old 09-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #138
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I dont totally disagree i didnt get any pmags for years because of all the fanboy crap. Finally got some and they do work and work well. Got a six mag set of camengas. They are solid but i dont use em because i got nothing they fit in if you could recomend a good molle carrier they fit i easily i would be obliged.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
if you could recomend a good molle carrier they fit i easily i would be obliged.
I got mine from Tactical Tailor for "Airsoft mags" for competition in 2001. It's a great mesh vest, but I wanted a middle of the back holster for my "faux" 1911 which I totally regret now.

Because of the specs, the Cammenga fit fine. Granted, it's not conventional, but it works for me.

Maybe a standard vest it won't work as well. I honestly don't know, as I have bought one vest and it has served me well.

JD