Most common and useful upgrade for AR-15? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Most common and useful upgrade for AR-15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I always liked having the M-203 strapped to them.

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos07/nov/lmtgl.html

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 08-15-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:45 AM   #12

Cheek peice... Either adjustable or a stock with them built in... A good cheek peice is a wise investment IMO.

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 08-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #13

I have two of the YHM free float tubes that JD mentioned. One carbine length on a 16" bbl and a rifle length on a 16" heavy barrel (for bi pod as this one of my woodchuck rifles). They are very well made I can assure you. I believe the newer design has a locking pin of some sort to avoid rotation of the forend. Mine are older models and heavy duty loc tite on the indexing ring has served just fine. I also hate the look and feel of rails all over the place. With this tube, you can get rail sections in lenghts from 2.5" to the full length (or more) of the tube so you only have what you need.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2857 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post
thanks for the tips
are all these absolutely necesarry though?
The upgrade springs resolve some design deficiencies that the Mil-Spec has not kept up with. Mag springs are an (IMHO) essential item as the Mil mag only costs $2.00. How good a spring are you going to get in a $2.00 magazine. The extractor spring will prevent extraction issues that may arise.

A red dot/holo sight makes the weapon MUCH quicker to shoot.

The non slip butt pad adds a little length to the (for me) too short carbine stock.

The Redi Mag allows you to have 2 magazines with the weapon at all times. You do not have to think about grabbing extra ammo/mags and mess with mag straps/clasps.

Shoot 1-2K before you spend a lot of money on accessories. Mall Ninjas will offer up all sorts of gadgets to "upgrade" your AR. Until you are fairly proficient, you will not know if those "upgrades" are worth it.

My AR's are perfectly reliable with the above additions and minimal cost.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #15

My personal take on essential upgrades are these:

Good stock. Magpul CTR is a nice addition and can be put right on the stock you have just make sure you know wether it's Mil spec or a commercial. I also run a RRA 9mm buffer in both of my rifles.

Good grip. The grip adds to the feel and trigger finger postion. You want the stock firm against your shoulder, a good grip makes it that much easier to do this. My favorite is the Magpul MIAD. I also have a G27 on my stag that is very comfortable.

Good BUIS. Don't skimp on this. I like a folding rear sight sinse I run a red dot on my rifles. However, I like being able to flip up the rear and use the irons as well.

Good optic. I admittedly went cheap on this. I first used a Bushnell red dot that was okay, but I replaced it with a SPOT unit. I really like the SPOT, so much so that I boght another one for the other rifle. Avoid the Aimpoint knock offs. If you were going to spend the cash, this would be the best place to do it. If possible, see if anyone local to you would let you shoot with thier Eotech and/or a Aimpoint. Personally I do not like the Eotech.

Good amount of Mags and Mag parts. All of my USGI 30rd mags have been rebuilt with better springs, followers, and in my case range plates or Mag-pulls.

Good ammo. Sight in with good ammo. I plink with the Monarch and wolf. I sight in and keep my "defence mags" filled with Hornady or Black hills.

Hand gaurds are great, both my middy and carbine have them. They do add weight though. I only use a verticle grip on both and even then I remove them at the range from time to time. To me those were not necessary items. Hind sight I should have waited and went full float.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
My personal take on essential upgrades are these:

Good stock. Magpul CTR is a nice addition and can be put right on the stock you have just make sure you know wether it's Mil spec or a commercial. I also run a RRA 9mm buffer in both of my rifles.

Good grip. The grip adds to the feel and trigger finger postion. You want the stock firm against your shoulder, a good grip makes it that much easier to do this. My favorite is the Magpul MIAD. I also have a G27 on my stag that is very comfortable.

Good BUIS. Don't skimp on this. I like a folding rear sight sinse I run a red dot on my rifles. However, I like being able to flip up the rear and use the irons as well.

Good optic. I admittedly went cheap on this. I first used a Bushnell red dot that was okay, but I replaced it with a SPOT unit. I really like the SPOT, so much so that I boght another one for the other rifle. Avoid the Aimpoint knock offs. If you were going to spend the cash, this would be the best place to do it. If possible, see if anyone local to you would let you shoot with thier Eotech and/or a Aimpoint. Personally I do not like the Eotech.

Good amount of Mags and Mag parts. All of my USGI 30rd mags have been rebuilt with better springs, followers, and in my case range plates or Mag-pulls.

Good ammo. Sight in with good ammo. I plink with the Monarch and wolf. I sight in and keep my "defence mags" filled with Hornady or Black hills.

Hand gaurds are great, both my middy and carbine have them. They do add weight though. I only use a verticle grip on both and even then I remove them at the range from time to time. To me those were not necessary items. Hind sight I should have waited and went full float.
Not taking anything away from what you posted...but isn't this:

http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/PROD/24_RIFLE_SCOPES/SPO-MK3-NR6

An "Aimpoint knock-off"? Admittedly...it's probably one of the better ones, like the Hakko's (from Japan) were...but still a "copy" of the Aimpoint. That being said, it does work well, and a good alternative to the price of an Aimpoint.

Slo

Old 08-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A good sling and a good optic.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Not taking anything away from what you posted...but isn't this:

http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/PROD/24_RIFLE_SCOPES/SPO-MK3-NR6

An "Aimpoint knock-off"? Admittedly...it's probably one of the better ones, like the Hakko's (from Japan) were...but still a "copy" of the Aimpoint. That being said, it does work well, and a good alternative to the price of an Aimpoint.

Slo
Read a torture test of the SPOT and liked how it held up. I didn't pay full price for either of the two I bought and so far I am very pleased with the performance offered. Only downside is they are 3MOA, but that really hasn't been a negative thus far.

I may eventually go with an Aimpoint. Not in a huge hurry though. The jeep requires feeding as well and it's her turn for some financial attention and TLC

Old 09-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so i finished my AR and now i'm thinking about upgrades
the first thing i'm gonna upgrade is probably the trigger
is a two-stage trigger worth it?
and does anyone know or have detailed instructions on how to clean an AR-15?
thanks!

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 09-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post
so i finished my AR and now i'm thinking about upgrades
the first thing i'm gonna upgrade is probably the trigger
is a two-stage trigger worth it?
and does anyone know or have detailed instructions on how to clean an AR-15?
thanks!
You just put it together - you should know what parts move and what parts don't.

I really like the RRA 2-Stage Triggers. They break clean and they are a direct drop in. Cost about $100 delivered and can be put in the weapon in minutes.

That said, you have a nice SHTF weapon there Junho, I don't think you need a $100 trigger that is more suited for competition weapons unless you just plain "want" one.

If you want to improve on the factory trigger, and not break the bank, you can order up this spring kit from Brownells for under $10 if you are a member. Easy to replace and cuts the overall travel and pull down. We use them a lot on budget builds to get a nice trigger for a field / home rifle.

JD