Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Most common and useful upgrade for AR-15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Most common and useful upgrade for AR-15?

Yeah so i was just wondering what where the most common and handy upgrades for a 16" M4 style AR 15 with flat top and collapsible stock.

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What kind of upgrades are you looking to do? At 16", you don't really have a long range, match style platform. But, you could do a few things to make it a bit better for close quarter action.

Free floated front hand guard, if you just have the plastic clamshell that so many come with.

Fold down battle sights like the kind from Yankee Hill Machine or Troy. I would go with the YHM as they are way cheaper. That allows you to use your optics, but if something happens, pull the glass/heads up and switch to analog old school in about 20 seconds.

A trigger job is always a good idea, if you have the stock style trigger. You can get a drop in replacement, or you can tune the one you have already got in about 30 minutes. I sent several people on here an on line write up on how to do it, I haven't heard any reports back from anyone. *shaking fist*

Give me an idea of what direction you would like to go with the gun and I will see if I can't give you some ideas...

JD

Old 08-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

A class on how to use it and 2,000 rounds of ammo...

Old 08-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #4

Liked 2255 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

+1000 Ranger.

An enhanced extractor spring from Specialized Armament Warehouse (sawlesales.com). $4.

Enhanced magazine springs from Specialized Armament. $4

"H" buffer for carbine (collapsible) butt stock.

Good red dot sight, C-more, Acog etc.

Non slip (recoil) pad for butt stock. A bit more length and better control.

Boonie Packer Redi Mag.

Titanium FP.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
What kind of upgrades are you looking to do? At 16", you don't really have a long range, match style platform. But, you could do a few things to make it a bit better for close quarter action.

Free floated front hand guard, if you just have the plastic clamshell that so many come with.

Fold down battle sights like the kind from Yankee Hill Machine or Troy. I would go with the YHM as they are way cheaper. That allows you to use your optics, but if something happens, pull the glass/heads up and switch to analog old school in about 20 seconds.

A trigger job is always a good idea, if you have the stock style trigger. You can get a drop in replacement, or you can tune the one you have already got in about 30 minutes. I sent several people on here an on line write up on how to do it, I haven't heard any reports back from anyone. *shaking fist*

Give me an idea of what direction you would like to go with the gun and I will see if I can't give you some ideas...

JD
i was thinking about free float vented tube
don't like the look of 4 picatinny railed tube

what rear and front sight do you recommend?
i was also planning on putting a surefire on it somewhere

as for the trigger is a 2 stage trigger upgrade worth it?
as for the springs can you just buy better ones and work from there?

i was gonna get a 512 eotech for a red dot sight
thats all i've really thought about

Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #6

junho -

I recently got This free floated fore end from Yankee Hill. There are close up pictures of it in the projects section under my current build called Gungnir. This gives you a top rail for all sorts of sights, regardless of your choosing, and then it gives the ( 3 ) additional 4" rails right at the front in case you want to add a light or something. I am really happy with it. It's very well made and very durable.

As for flip up sights:

From This page I like the:

Forearm Mounted Front Flip Sight

A1 Style Flip Rear Sight

Both are really good sights, very durable and work extremely well in case of battery failure or other need.

I just bought a RRA 2 Stage Trigger for this project and it is very nice. Very little creep up to a very positive break and then almost no over travel. I think it will shoot very well.

That being said, JARD makes a drop in trigger that I have on my 17" gun, pictures in my gallery, and it works fine as well.

Your trigger is going to be somewhat personal, so you might want to try a couple before you buy. I work part-time in a shop, so I get to play with everything.

You can fine tune a GI Trigger for a nice clean break. You can also replace the springs and get a good trigger, not great, but definitely better than stock.

I have a couple of EoTechs and I love them. They are very durable and they aren't too terribly hard on batteries. That said, they aren't cheap either.

Let me know what you think of those products. There are certainly others out there, but those are some of the ones that I like currently...

JD

Old 08-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
junho -

I recently got This free floated fore end from Yankee Hill. There are close up pictures of it in the projects section under my current build called Gungnir. This gives you a top rail for all sorts of sights, regardless of your choosing, and then it gives the ( 3 ) additional 4" rails right at the front in case you want to add a light or something. I am really happy with it. It's very well made and very durable.

As for flip up sights:

From This page I like the:

Forearm Mounted Front Flip Sight

A1 Style Flip Rear Sight

Both are really good sights, very durable and work extremely well in case of battery failure or other need.

I just bought a RRA 2 Stage Trigger for this project and it is very nice. Very little creep up to a very positive break and then almost no over travel. I think it will shoot very well.

That being said, JARD makes a drop in trigger that I have on my 17" gun, pictures in my gallery, and it works fine as well.

Your trigger is going to be somewhat personal, so you might want to try a couple before you buy. I work part-time in a shop, so I get to play with everything.

You can fine tune a GI Trigger for a nice clean break. You can also replace the springs and get a good trigger, not great, but definitely better than stock.

I have a couple of EoTechs and I love them. They are very durable and they aren't too terribly hard on batteries. That said, they aren't cheap either.

Let me know what you think of those products. There are certainly others out there, but those are some of the ones that I like currently...

JD
*drools*
i really like that free float forearm

but mines gonna be a 16" so shouldn't i get the carbine?
with that said what flip up front sight would fit?
looks like the ones yankee hill would get in the way of the tube...

Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
+1000 Ranger.

An enhanced extractor spring from Specialized Armament Warehouse (sawlesales.com). $4.

Enhanced magazine springs from Specialized Armament. $4

"H" buffer for carbine (collapsible) butt stock.

Good red dot sight, C-more, Acog etc.

Non slip (recoil) pad for butt stock. A bit more length and better control.

Boonie Packer Redi Mag.

Titanium FP.
thanks for the tips
are all these absolutely necesarry though?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

• Good iron sights
  • Holosight (or similar)
  • Good followers/springs/floorplates for your mags
  • Replacement parts that wear or may break
Don't clutter your AR with stuff you don't need.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post
*drools*
i really like that free float forearm

but mines gonna be a 16" so shouldn't i get the carbine?
with that said what flip up front sight would fit?
looks like the ones yankee hill would get in the way of the tube...
They make a carbine model as well, it's like $20 cheaper as well. It's the same configuration, but it's shorter for your barrel. I should have clarified that. The fore end I showed you is top shelf though. I really like it. It feels like a great piece of kit...

YHM makes several models of foldering sights. The ones I showed you were my choices, but they also make one that goes right on top of your existing gas block.

Take a look at their sight page and see what you like...

JD