Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Mossberg AR barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Mossberg AR barrels

Does anyone have any experience with these barrels, the M4 contour melonite ones? I have read both good and bad about them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

No idea.

Go bcm wilson(not wilson combat) white oak krieger to name a few

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
No idea.

Go bcm wilson(not wilson combat) white oak krieger to name a few
Those are all great barrels however they aren't in that $99 price range . Mossberg makes some pretty accurate bolt rifles , not sure if they are making their own AR barrels or contracting someone else .
Specs look good, they are melonited inside and out which is good . For $99 I wouldnt hesitate to try one if doing a budget build . My only concerns would be under or over gassed . Both are easy fixes . Either reaming the gas port if under gassed or adjustable gas block if over gassed

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 12-09-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I'm helping a friend do a budget build. He asked me about them. Never knew that Moossberg made AR barrels. He wants the one with the melonite coating. Not sure wear to evne find one.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #5

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XATIB556M4&name=Mossberg+OEM+16% 22+.223%2f5.56+AR+Barrel&groupid=573

AIM had them on sale for Black Friday and they are now out of stock. For a budget build they are tough to beat. Sign up to get an email when they get more in stock.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #6

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc29th View Post
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XATIB556M4&name=Mossberg+OEM+16% 22+.223%2f5.56+AR+Barrel&groupid=573

AIM had them on sale for Black Friday and they are now out of stock. For a budget build they are tough to beat. Sign up to get an email when they get more in stock.
I would have to guess that they arent getting any more of those , they have had them a long long time and thats why they went as cheap as they did on black friday .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 12-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Just a not about coatings. The only ones thatt are of any real benefit are chromed bore chamber and phosphate finish. The chromed chamber aids in extraction under dirty conditions and when using steel cases. Chrome bore extends barrel life for a minor expense. Phosphate exterior retains oils making it much harder for rust to set in under hostile environmental conditions.

Everything else is marketing

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 347 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 595

Mossberg barrels are not bad. I used some in my earlier builds. Now I use ER Shaw in all the rifles.

NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I got mine from AIM not to long ago, so far so good, not bad at all and I love the Melonite finish! Same finish on my Adams Arms kit I put in, bolt carrier, piston and gas block all have Melonite finish.

AIM has had them for a while and looks like they keep getting them back every month or so IMO...

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".

Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #10

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
Mossberg barrels are not bad. I used some in my earlier builds. Now I use ER Shaw in all the rifles.
I have a Mossberg ATR100 and it uses an ER Shaw Barrel. I was surprised for such a cheap costing Rifle. Very accurate shooter.

I found while looking for who makes some Barrels for AR's some time back, that Mossberg, Stag and DoubleStar all used ER Shaw, but I guess contracts could change quickly when assembling ARs to get out the Door for Customers in a timely manner and needing to find components.