Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   More AR questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/more-ar-questions-52923/)

purehavoc 12-02-2011 09:15 PM

More AR questions

Hello , Im all new to the AR type rifles, but looking to purchase one , I will be upfront I really dont want to spend over $900 to get going . I have looked at Palmetto State Armory, Stag , Bushmaster , and Smith and Wesson .
My understanding from reviews is the lowend BM stuff is just that I see good and bad , mainly bad on the newer stuff but good reviews on older models .. S&W is still decently reviewed on the lowend $700 gun
Palmetto and Stag seem to be thumbs up also.

Now I dont know alot about the differences of them all or how they work , like Piston driven etc,
Im a bolt action rifle and handgun guy so please bare with me .
Just hoping you can help me find a reliable AR that doesnt cost a fortune , it doesnt need to come with a scope/ red dot but if it does thats fine also , However I would like it to be able to accept one as I do have several decent scopes laying around that could be used , it wont be hunted with except coyotes and it will be more of a fun gun for me than anything . Im quite capable of tearing a gun down to clean it etc, so im not new to guns by any means but these are just a whole new world to me .
Be honest keep me in my price range and let me know whats worthy of owning thats reliable and accurate wether its a $600 or a $900 gun .
Im just not finding what I need in respect to reviews on the guns I am currently looking at
Thanks
PH

jjfuller1 12-02-2011 09:23 PM

well it seems you have been doing some research. the brands you mentioned are all good and personnally i would go with stag. i paid 900 out the door for mine.
i would also stay away from the ones are are piston driven. they are new and i fear not all the kinks may be worked out. .. just like you dont go out and by a car the first years its made... get a book or a friend that knows the platform to help with learning the takedown process.. with practice it can be done in under 30 seconds. it seems tricky at first but is really simple.

my stag came with irons sights but i have also added a scope to it so it can be used with either. and is pretty accurate with just the irons. i hope you can come to a decsion soon so you can go enjoy the fun an AR can provide

AgentTikki 12-02-2011 09:26 PM

sent you a link, sould answer most of your questions.....if you have anything specific let me know!

BTW, what do you intend to use your rifle for? Work, plinking, home defence? What distances do you plan to shoot at?

purehavoc 12-02-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 642005)
sent you a link, sould answer most of your questions.....if you have anything specific let me know!

BTW, what do you intend to use your rifle for? Work, plinking, home defence? What distances do you plan to shoot at?

Thanks for the link and I will be researching there also
All the above but Plinking , coyotes mainly , I have plenty of SD guns , mainly 100 yards but no more than 200 yards , I have a bolt .223 for further distances

AgentTikki 12-02-2011 10:34 PM

Most quality AR carbines can do 1 moa out of the box with good ammo. A run of the mill 16" is pretty amazing. With irons and a good eyes, you can do 300 yards pretty easily. I have a 4 moa red dot and plink 10" steel plate out to 300 yards. (my eyes suck) Its fun as hell. I'd say for distances under 300 yards for plinking you will be well served with a 14.5" or 16" barrel.

For longer distances and varminting, you are looking for better specs than your average carbine. Just so you know, there are competition guys even going 1000 yards and more with your humble .223. I don't think its humane or even sane to hunt with this caliber at those distances but, just saying you can take it that far if you really tried. Most varmiters run a longer barrel with a heavy contour/profile for added rigidity and 1x9 twist, stainless barrels in .223 or wylde chamers for better accuracy and precision.

Id recommend going with a plinker first, get some experience with the AR and see if you like it. You may contract BRD and start planning a varmint build, or just plan a new upper. (the modularity is awesome)

Hope this helps ya!

FCross7 12-02-2011 11:55 PM

Look through the 10 most recent AR-15 threads. This same question has been answered twice in the last 3 days.

-Fred

purehavoc 12-04-2011 12:02 AM

Alright , so I went and bought a $10 magazine tonight so I could find out what brands are out there and and some reviews on the buyers guide on AR Rifleman . Seem as though there are alot more AR brands out there than I really ever thought there was . and lots of accessory stuff in there also . Guess I got more research to do . :D

FCross7 12-04-2011 12:03 AM

I personally wouldn't go off of what the mags say. They're paid to do those reviews and such by the manufacturer, and so what they say is a little biased.

-Fred

willfully armed 12-04-2011 12:16 AM

Cabelas is selling the DPMS oracle for $599 right now.

JSE Surplus also has good deals on AR15s.

mjkeat 12-04-2011 12:46 AM

I wasn't going to comment because like Fred said there are a lot of posts as of late and many preceding them on this very topic.

He also made a good point about not putting to much weight behind what the magazines say or in most cases what your local gun store says. They are both just salesmen.

If you don't have to don't get a "beginners rifle". It's a waste and you'll quickly out grow it's potential and be left w/ something you don't want. You know what that means, you'll be on here asking what rifle you should purchase yet again. Get something you can afford yet will give you many, many years of service. You may pay more now but you'll save in the long run.

As far as brand there are good ones, great ones, and those you should avoid.