moisture question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > moisture question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default moisture question

Newbie here,
I have my ar15 on a wall mount behind my clothes in my closet. My closet is in our master bath. I've had a pistol (brand new!) get rust and pitted after I oiled it and wrapped it in a silicon cloth and putting it in it's original plastic box. My other pistol has been in the nightstand drawer for many years and is clean as a whistle because it is in a controlled environment. Nevertheless I learned my lesson and now I'm worried that the humidity of the bathroom will affect my AR. It's been a couple of months now and no sign of rust/pitting but can this location be harmful??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #2

Liked 1062 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Well of course your location can cause rust but the AR is pretty resistant to moisture (a lot was learned from the steamy jungles in Vietnam). I'd say keep it lubed well and check it once a week. I'm assuming you do have a chrome lined barrel/chamber.

BTW, welcome and why not introduce yourself in the introductions thread!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

this is going to sound stupid, but I don't know what is lining the barrel. It's a bushmaster....Thats about all I know. thank's for your reply.

There are only 2 people willing to die for us.
1. Jesus Christ and the other is the American soldier.

I see your signature and want to say that I am so very thankful to you for serving this country that is seeming to be on a down hill path to Hell....

God bless you and all of our military.!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #4

Liked 1062 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Thanks, Prodago... there are many vets and active duty military who are members here but of course you don't have to be to join in.

I suspect your Bushmaster has a chrome lined barrel, which model is it? You're probably ok but turn on the fart fan when you steam up the place! I.E. shower... You want good ventilation to keep the moisture down.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.