Mobil 1 as gun oil - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Mobil 1 as gun oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm not a gun expert but I know general machines, maching centers and cars very well. Manufacturing Engineer by trade.

A low viscosity, high temp Molly grease is really meant for areas that need a cushion of lube b/c the tollerance b/t the two parts is not real tight. Also meant for areas that are not getting a replenished supply of fresh oil. Good molly grease is really sticky and tacky for this reason. It also applys a lower viscosity film on the surface as well for slippy thin coverage.

A high viscosity motor oil if you will is meant for tighter tollerances and in a design where the oil is constantly being replenished or forced through an area. Some motors are built with loose tollerances and spec out a heavier weight oil b/c that particular oil will provide more cushion if you will at their specified running temperature.

I would assume that even a 15W-50 would work for most any gun parts. Mobile one has one of the best 15W-50s you can buy with a typical synthetic oil label.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:50 AM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

My boss, the gunsmith that owns the store I work in uses a mixture of WD-40, Marvel mystery oil, and transmission fluid. Seems to work pretty good.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
My boss, the gunsmith that owns the store I work in uses a mixture of WD-40, Marvel mystery oil, and transmission fluid. Seems to work pretty good.
That would make me nervous as none of those is intended to be a lubricant.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 7 Posts

Spitty, I've actually read where lots of folks use ATF with good results. As a quart of good synthetic oil lasts forever, I've never been tempted to try it...

Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
That would make me nervous as none of those is intended to be a lubricant.
What is the classification of these three then?

"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Old 07-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

ATF is a hydraulic fluid and while offering some lubrication that is not it's intended purpose. WD40 is a penetrating oil and used to displace moisture. Marval is actually intended to be a lubricant(sorry, I spoke too soon) but I've never been a fan of it.

NGIB, if ATF works for some then more power to them but I'm not going to try it. I don't think it offers the needed characteristics of an oil and it stinks. If I lubed my kimber with that I'd walk around smelling like a tranny shop and my wife wouldn't sit next to me in church.

Last edited by spittinfire; 07-16-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
ATF is a hydraulic fluid and while offering some lubrication that is not it's intended purpose. WD40 is a penetrating oil and used to displace moisture. Marval is actually intended to be a lubricant(sorry, I spoke too soon) but I've never been a fan of it.

NGIB, if ATF works for some then more power to them but I'm not going to try it. I don't think it offers the needed characteristics of an oil and it stinks. If I lubed my kimber with that I'd walk around smelling like a tranny shop and my wife wouldn't sit next to me in church.
there's a correct application for every oil. Then there is an ideal and then there is the best.. . Many people seem to be using "what works for them" as well.

Some manual car transmissions have even had an ATF called out for lubrication. ATF is like a 20 weight motor oil. Some OEM transmissions have even been spec'd to use 5W-30 or 40 motor oil. Crazy huh? Not really but not the best use.

General Lee didn't state what transmission fluid the guy was using. If it was full synthetic, it may very well be a anything between a 5W-30 weight range like Amsoil MTF or a 75W-90 that can be used in transmission and in gears/differentials.

obviously the 75-90 would be a little more difficult to get into tight tollerance spaces, I wouldn't reccomend it. I would go with a 15W-50 Mobile one before ANY Tranny/gear lube in tight spots. If I need Shock proof fluid, you better have a howitszer or something.. .

EDIT Oh yeah, in talking to people that are experts in machining, WD-40 actually is not a good lubricant and it will attract Dirt into the area. I would not use W-40 for anything more than high pressure cleaning and then wipe down and re-lube with something else.

Last edited by berny2435; 07-16-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #18

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I'm not sure what kind of tranny fluid he uses, I assume it's standard non-synthetic.
I just asked him what that red oil in the spray bottle that I was using was and that's what he told me.
He did say that sometimes he'll substitute the Marvel for CLP.

I don't really see the point in adding the transmission fluid, but the way he described it was: "WD-40 is good for water displacement and rust prevention, but not a good lube.
Marvel mystery oil, great lube, but not a good rust inhibitor."

His main use for this mixture is for spraying down gun parts that just came out of the bluing tank, although he will also use it to lube moving parts.

I have yet to try it on any of my guns as a lube, I prefer a standard gun oil like FP-10 or something similar.

I did wipe down the external surfaces of my CZ70 with his mixture, and it does work great for preventing rust, but you have to apply a thin coat to prevent attracting dirt.

Last edited by General_lee; 07-16-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
I'm not sure what kind of tranny fluid he uses, I assume it's standard non-synthetic.
I just asked him what that red oil in the spray bottle that I was using was and that's what he told me.
He did say that sometimes he'll substitute the Marvel for CLP.

I don't really see the point in adding the transmission fluid, but the way he described it was: "WD-40 is good for water displacement and rust prevention, but not a good lube.
Marvel mystery oil, great lube, but not a good rust inhibitor."

His main use for this mixture is for spraying down gun parts that just came out of the bluing tank, although he will also use it to lube moving parts.

I have yet to try it on any of my guns as a lube, I prefer a standard gun oil like FP-10 or something similar.

I did wipe down the external surfaces of my CZ70 with his mixture, and it does work great for preventing rust, but you have to apply a thin coat to prevent attracting dirt.

That makes sense.

Newest Threads