mini-14 vs AR-15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > mini-14 vs AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default mini-14 vs AR-15

if a mini-14 cost right about $700 and i can get and low end basic AR-15 for that, bolth new mind you,,,,,, why the hell would any one get a mini-14.

what im asking is what is the point of owning one unless you get a damn good deal or end up with one is some kind of trade.

to me a mini-14 should be a $300 gun at best.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It is my understanding that the Mini-series guns are very very reliable, though I personally wouldn't own a gun that isn't accurate out of the box (and yes, I know they are supposed to be better now, but eh). But, from my research, it sounds like a $700 AR may or may not make it through a 2000rd training weekend, whereas a $1200 AR likely would, as well as a Mini.

$300 is Realistically a little low, but if I were in the market I'd pay $600 for an AR before I paid $600 for a Mini. Hell, I'd probably pay $1000 for an AR before I paid $600 for a Mini.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
if a mini-14 cost right about $700 and i can get and low end basic AR-15 for that, bolth new mind you,,,,,, why the hell would any one get a mini-14.

what im asking is what is the point of owning one unless you get a damn good deal or end up with one is some kind of trade.

to me a mini-14 should be a $300 gun at best.
You're assuming that a Mini is in some way inferior to an AR. While it may not fill your need as well an AR does, that does not make it an inferior platform, and there are many people who are the exact opposite. Many people have multiple Minis, but wouldn't dream of owning an AR.

It's all about opinions and preferences.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

Id own a mini 14 before an AR. But that's just me, and I know I'm the minority here. I'm ok with that. A $600 mini will out shoot a $600 AR. If I wanted to spend some real cheese on a battle rifle, I would go all out on a decked out galil or scar or something. I'm not one who's into hype.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

I had a mini, and no it will not out shoot my $600 AR, not even close.

I would put the mini some where between the sks and the AR in terms of reliability vs. accuracy.

Some one tell my why a $600 AR wouldn't make 2k rounds. That's not as much as it may seem. Hell I put over 8k threw my M&P15R in 5.45x39 and only replaced the buffer and spring cause it was cycling so fast it didn't have time to eject fully (lil to no dwell time)

I know the mini is a reliable set up but like posted before me. I don't want an inaccurate rifle out of the box, (why I sold the 9 ak's that I have had) 2MOA or greater on a scoped set up is not acceptable at all in my eyes. Lets face it 100 yard really isn't a very long way at all. If I wanted some thing other than an AR in .223 and wanted cheap accuracy,,,,,,, I would get a Stevens 200 in .223 with 26"bull barrel for about $350 from gander. Its a 1/2moa or better rifle out of the box.

I just simply feel that the basic mini is a $300 gun and the target model with the nice stock and better barrel is a $500 gun at best.

The local shop here sell complete flat top milspec DPMS carbine at $699
no way I would get a basic mini at only $100 less, just don't see the point.

Last edited by Nathantc; 11-03-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I think that mini's are a bit over priced. I own a newer 580 series that I got new in 2008. It shoots O.K. for what it is. I've had a few AR's way back in the past but I just dont like them. No particular reason except that I really like wood and more conventional looking / feeling rifles. The same reason I have a walnut stock factory Springfield M1A. Just like the feel of them compaired to plastic. They're all just auto feed rifles and they don't usually drive tacks anyhow.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

I can see that, sorta why I don't understand putting a ugly ass tapco stock on a 10/22

I also can understand wanting a traditional rifle feel. I just honestly feel for that price point that Ruger damn sure could have put in more effort

Old 11-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
I don't want an inaccurate rifle out of the box, (why I sold the 9 ak's that I have had) 2MOA or greater on a scoped set up is not acceptable at all in my eyes. Lets face it 100 yard really isn't a very long way at all.
Can YOU shoot 2MOA at 100 yards? I'm not talking off of a bench. I'm talking offhand, standing unsupported.

I'd bet not, no matter what rifle you were using.

If I shot 10 rounds into 1 target each out of a Saiga 223, a Mini 14 and an AR-15, offhand, I'd bet you couldn't tell which target was from which rifle. All three of the rifles mentioned will shoot a group tighter than I personally can shoot, and I bet they shoot tighter than you can too.

If benchrest target shooting is your thing, great, but if that's the case, I don't see why you're shooting semi-autos in the first place. If accuracy is the most important characteristic for you in a rifle, then shoot a bolt gun.

Mini 14s aren't target guns (regardless of the fact that they have a target model, that's Ruger just trying to get every corner of the market share they can), but they are still great little rifles, for what they were designed for. I had one, a Mini 14 Tactical, and while I prefer my AR, that doesn't mean that ARs are any "better" than Mini 14s. AR may do some things better, but the same can be said for Minis.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #9

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I bought my first mini-14 in the late 70's new for about $100.00. Times have sure changed.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can see where some folks who assign value to a rifle by how well it can punch little holes in a paper target while using a scope and bench rest might determine the value of the Mini-14 to be lacking, but if i was faced with a real world need for a rifle that was accurate enough to hunt or defend with, and is as reliable as the day is long, I think i would levitate to the simpler design of the Mini over the AR knowing that it is out of the box a better shooter than I am.