Milspec ar15 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Milspec ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindle1225 View Post
Look... We are splitting hairs here. That being said.. I think you did a fine job breaking those models out and defining their respective price points. For the OP of this thread and all others looking to by an AR, that gives them a good idea.
Well, my post was intended to be taken in two ways.

(1) As you've noticed, I expect my price projections are pretty accurate. I've been shopping for multiple ARs of late, and investigating these brands in particular. The wider ranges are for this reason...if you're going to spend for a BCM rifle, aren't going to go ahead and buy the BCM bcg and gunfighter ch? Probably. And then there's optics and handguards.

(2) But also- If someone can point me down a better path, I'm all ears. The WWW is a massive space, and there are often deals hiding under rocks that many of us are simply unaware of. Like...who figures you can save 25+% buying Spike's components from JoBob's than...well, buying from Spike's direct?

Where I would lean for best values, based on very limited experience:

Non-milspec, sub $800: S&W, DelTon
Milspec $700-950: Spikes, PSA
Milspec $1K-ish: BCM
Milspec+, Under $1500: Daniel Defense (Noveske intrigues me though, great barrels)

It's all just opinion and preference. And not overwhelmingly informed opinion/preference in my case.

Last edited by sweeper22; 08-17-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Addition where to look for Spike's... Aimsurplus.com. Do not buy Spike's directly from them.. more expensive eventhough using the ARFCOM for the 5% off.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

AIM's prices are just slightly more than JoBob's, but they seem to be more able to actually fill orders. No diss to JoBob...they offer excellent service at tremendously fair prices, so they have a large customer base and tend to sell out fast.

AIM is certainly a go-to for many buys, including Spike's.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
AIM's prices are just slightly more than JoBob's, but they seem to be more able to actually fill orders. No diss to JoBob...they offer excellent service at tremendously fair prices, so they have a large customer base and tend to sell out fast.

AIM is certainly a go-to for many buys, including Spike's.
I feel their prices about the same.. but most importantly these 2 places are my only reliable sources for Spike's. One thing for sure.. Joebob ships quicker and free t-shirts. .

Old 08-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a
Some of the individual parts in my ARs are technically "milspec"; that is there is no difference in measurements between it and the miliary version, when it is legal. An example is the barrel, the upper receiver, the buttstock assembly, the bolt carriers, etc. However, I don't go with the absolute lowest bidder on the parts, which is what I consider the biggest difference. Most of the military weapons come new with a very high quality, as they get a thorough qc before they get shipped. Where I think milspec fails is the replacement parts, which comes from the lowest bidder in a given year. An M4/M16 that is several years old may have parts from up to twenty manufacturers inside of it, not all of which have a reliable quality control. If you ever get to see a unit that has been around enough to have a history, and you look at their weapons, you can tell the older weapons as they have different shades of black on their upper and lower receivers and their furniture(buttstock, pistol grip, and handguards). Some lowers the magazine will either be too loose or too tight going in. There will be play between the upper and lower receiver.
The end point in my ramblings I am trying to make is don't make "milspec" the end all to your personal selection process on your rifle, assemblies, or parts. There is better out there, and not necessarily more expensive. Save money when you can, but remember, Eugene Stoner designed the weapon to kill, and at the end of the day, it doesn't care who, so consider quality before any other considerations. Those who have mentioned Colt products are correct in their belief that they are a great choice. When I was a private, I tried to get our armoror to hand me a Colt. (we had so much turnover due to PCS they didn't bother assigning weapons) Like Quentin's saying goes, you will remember the quality of a gun long after you have forgotten what you paid for it. Hope I haven't confused too many people with my mindless meanderings
Super thanks thated helped me understand some needed info.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #46

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never heard of spikes till about 5 months ago! Im startn to lean towards buying a spike ar! Im realy big s&w type! But spikes is looking a better buy for the $! It will happen soon but have to fig out which one floats my boat the best!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yes Spikes is good. I'm fan of Spike's. Lol