Milspec ar15 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Milspec ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

(Thanks for the advice, Canebrake)
The same reason I purchased the same rifle. Colt should send Canebrake a thank you card

Old 08-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1346

I know we have had this same discussion in the past regarding Mil-Spec. I will begin by saying the Mil-Spec standard is a good standard because the parts have to me certain specifications regarding finish, material, tolerances and other operations like magnaflux and other processes. However Mil-Spec as stated represents tolerances also which equates to a + or - range regarding parts for example. Just for an example without specifying any single part. In Mil-Spec you can have one part + .010 and another part -.010 which by themselves are good parts and within the Mil-Spec tolerance and a good part. But if they meet up in the building process they have too much tolerance. I think of Head Space as a good example of where this occurs. The point I am making even though Mil-Spec is good that there are quality manufacturers out there that are using parts that closer and more precise tolerance on their parts than Mil-Spec requires. What I am saying Mil-Spec is good, but don't get all hung up on it! For another example a manufacturer could use a cap screw type pistol grip screw in place of a slotted screw which is required by Mil-Spec Standards. So the weapon would not be Mil-Spec any longer. If the barrel is plated with the front sight frame on it it is not Mil-Spec. The Mil-Spec requires the barrel be plated prior to the front sight frame being installed. Either makes no difference as to the performance of the rifle is my point. As the guys have stated you can build yourself a fine rifle by listening to their advise regarding good quality parts. If you are looking at complete Rifles I would recommend some of the following. Rock River, Stag, Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT) Daniel Defense, CMMG, Spikes Tactical as some of the best available. Sabre Defense made one of the best available but are no longer in business. Colt LE. is also a good rifle. Good Luck on your choice. You get what you pay for if you do not build it!

Check out the semi classified section of the forum.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 08-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03

I know we have had this same discussion in the past regarding Mil-Spec. I will begin by saying the Mil-Spec standard is a good standard because the parts have to me certain specifications regarding finish, material, tolerances and other operations like magnaflux and other processes. However Mil-Spec as stated represents tolerances also which equates to a + or - range regarding parts for example. Just for an example without specifying any single part. In Mil-Spec you can have one part + .010 and another part -.010 which by themselves are good parts and within the Mil-Spec tolerance and a good part. But if they meet up in the building process they have too much tolerance. I think of Head Space as a good example of where this occurs. The point I am making even though Mil-Spec is good that there are quality manufacturers out there that are using parts that closer and more precise tolerance on their parts than Mil-Spec requires. What I am saying Mil-Spec is good, but don't get all hung up on it! For another example a manufacturer could use a cap screw type pistol grip screw in place of a slotted screw which is required by Mil-Spec Standards. So the weapon would not be Mil-Spec any longer. If the barrel is plated with the front sight frame on it it is not Mil-Spec. The Mil-Spec requires the barrel be plated prior to the front sight frame being installed. Either makes no difference as to the performance of the rifle is my point. As the guys have stated you can build yourself a fine rifle by listening to their advise regarding good quality parts. If you are looking at complete Rifles I would recommend some of the following. Rock River, Stag, Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT) Daniel Defense, CMMG, Spikes Tactical as some of the best available. Sabre Defense made one of the best available but are no longer in business. Colt LE. is also a good rifle. Good Luck on your choice. You get what you pay for if you do not build it!

Thanks alot thats kind of detail i was lookin for!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03

Thanks alot!! Thats kind of info i was not sure about! I love guns so might builf my self one so i know my gun n also can put what i want on it! I just need to make up mind were to start n order from!!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks okdonk gave me a better idea of were to look n give more ideas!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey tenderribs thanks for info realy like the s&w set up! I just want a gun that will last long time n have minor or no problems!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop

Sure is =)
Im new to this so whats the to sights u have on top! An whats diff between first one n second on? Do u need both or just makes it better! Would like to get night vision sights if poss! Thanks for any info! All new world to me in the ar life!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 66

No worries man. Feel free to ask any of us any questions. Have fun!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk
No worries man. Feel free to ask any of us any questions. Have fun!
Cool is the chrom barrel the way to go? Just want the rifle to not jam n last long time!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Some said its better. Some said not. For a little price difference, its all depends on your budget.