Milspec ar15 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Milspec ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
I wish I could afford a eotech!
I saved every spare dollar for a LONG time

And it still took an argument w/ the wife to get it

Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I think the bcm (bravo company) edges colt in quality for price.
Blasphemy!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #13

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

According to some trains of thought, a milspec AR by definition is a contradiction in terms, as milspec has select fire option. That being said, from my experience, milspec often means just barely meeting safety inspection standards. I would rather my rifle be of a higher quality, and it sounds like the OP is interested in the best he can get for his money, not what he has to settle with. Just my .02

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
According to some trains of thought, a milspec AR by definition is a contradiction in terms, as milspec has select fire option. That being said, from my experience, milspec often means just barely meeting safety inspection standards. I would rather my rifle be of a higher quality, and it sounds like the OP is interested in the best he can get for his money, not what he has to settle with. Just my .02
I might be wrong on this, but I don't think Mil-Spec refers to "safety"

I'm pretty sure it's more another way of saying interoperability

Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I thought it meant up to military specification and I was understood the only guns that are mil spe are those that are iinspectrd bu the military to military specifications? Maybe someone can help me on this technical stuff !?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #16

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvhunter85 View Post
Im new to the ARs an was wondering whats a good price for a milspec ar 5.56? I love s&w. But can deff get a colt or dpms just not sure which way to go please ...
Well the Colt LE6921 is as close to a milspec M4 as most civilians can legally buy. It's basically the 14.5" military Colt M4 or M4A1 except it is semiauto only, no full auto or burst fire.

The more popular Colt LE6920 differs slightly with its 16” barrel. That length that makes it easy to change a screw-on muzzle device opposed to under 16" where federal law requires the MD permanently attached in order to reach 16".

The DPMS is nowhere near milspec while the S&W is closer. BCM is very close or equal to the Colts except they also offer a midlength gas system (which many of us prefer).

Anyway read Agent Tikki's AR Primer a couple times and you'll get up to speed.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Why has no one mentioned Palmetto State Arms, (PSA)? Especially when considering cost and milspec.

I picked one new up for about $725 with collapsible rear sight, m4 feed ramps, chrome lined bolt/barrel, dust cover, assist, lifetime warranty, the list goes on... Its a fine rifle for the money and its loaded with milspec.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. I'm actually probably gonna pick up a global arms AR when I get the chance. They use PSA lowers and all mil-spec parts. Lifetime guarantee etc. and have a much cooler rollmark.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #19

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs
I thought it meant up to military specification and I was understood the only guns that are mil spe are those that are iinspectrd bu the military to military specifications? Maybe someone can help me on this technical stuff !?
there is commercial spec and mil-spec. Mil-spec refers to the parts in the set up being made to a certain specification that holds the parts to a much higher standard of tolerance. Therefore inherently improving reliability. these specific parts hold up better because they are made differently than commercial spec. Better metals, coatings, etc. because they are better made they cost more. But they also last way longer and handle much more abuse than the average hobby rifle.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5720 Times on 3234 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

I recently acquired another AR-15 to add to the collection. a Colt LE6940.

IMHO, you can't get anythng better. It's not a match gun, it's a fighting/SHTF/self defense/home defense rifle. Every time I pull the trigger it goes "bang." EVERY TIME

AQnd with the TA33R-h ACOG, head shots at 300 yards are readily doable.

It does everytrhing I weant an AR to do, and does it well.

(Thanks for the advice, Canebrake)

Winston Churchill
PrimePorkchop Likes This