Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Might be thinking about my 1st AR.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 298 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Might be thinking about my 1st AR.

I don't normally post or really ever read much in this section. But I have been thinking about buying an AR for the past couple weeks but with last nights debate, I'm really thinking about it. I have other guns on my list that I want more but I don't want to be on the outside looking in.

If I do buy one I don't anticipate shooting it much. I am more of a bolt action/shotgun type of person. Would you go lower end if you were buying or go medium/high end incase pieces and accessories aren't available in the future?

I have a S&W M&P 15-22 so I am a bit familiar with the platform. I've just never gone for the fullsize because I probably wouldn't want to pay for the ammo and being in Illinois I can't hunt deer with it. I could take it for coyote/fox hunting but I generally do that with one of my bolt guns.

The budget could be $1500 and stretched to $1800 at the extreme high end. Whatever I do spend will cost me the ability to buy other guns on my list. Which end should I go for and any recommendations or ones to avoid would be much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 198 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 59

With that budget.. you are good on medium to high end. Even better if u build it rather than buying a complete.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I don't normally post or really ever read much in this section. But I have been thinking about buying an AR for the past couple weeks but with last nights debate, I'm really thinking about it. I have other guns on my list that I want more but I don't want to be on the outside looking in.

If I do buy one I don't anticipate shooting it much. I am more of a bolt action/shotgun type of person. Would you go lower end if you were buying or go medium/high end incase pieces and accessories aren't available in the future?

I have a S&W M&P 15-22 so I am a bit familiar with the platform. I've just never gone for the fullsize because I probably wouldn't want to pay for the ammo and being in Illinois I can't hunt deer with it. I could take it for coyote/fox hunting but I generally do that with one of my bolt guns.

The budget could be $1500 and stretched to $1800 at the extreme high end. Whatever I do spend will cost me the ability to buy other guns on my list. Which end should I go for and any recommendations or ones to avoid would be much appreciated.
Wink wink ...If it's a concern, why not buy a lower...maybe two, and get the upper later, which should (WlLL) be available...

If you're looking for a complete setup, I can recommend the Colt LE 6920, around $1200(ish) NIB. Have recently had the opportunity to get familiar with this gun and it's a definite winner...

It's always (usually) going to be cheaper to build your own so maybe start with the lower and see how you feel about it after that...

Being new to the platform myself, I can't suggest which manufacturers to stay away from but I do know there are MANY high quality makers out there...

Hit up AgentTikki's reviews in the AR subforum, they helped me a ton...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 10-18-2012 at 03:33 AM.