Midwest Industries and the FN Scar17S
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Midwest Industries and the FN Scar17S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Default Midwest Industries and the FN Scar17S

my wife took my savage model10 fcpsr and niteforce scope then said get what you want to replace it, this one is mine. she is currently looking for a company to digicam the stiock purple *sigh*

anyway i was looking for a colt le901 and missed it by a few minutes on clicking submit order with westfork armory, thanks for being awesome with the customer service followup, michael!! westfork 3 thumbs up for the effort!! then i started looking at a semi auto belt fed rpd and this afternoon went shopping ended up at midwest industries and they had a scar17s sitting above a scar16s on the wall.

while i cant see any real reason for a 556/223 version of the scar when a regular ar15 does the same job. the 308 version is a different story and is in the relative ballpark of other high end 308 semi autos. after a bit of handling and talking with troy the owner of midwest industries i ended up hemming and hawing and trying to decide.

the talk turned to suppressors and between the ultra light weight and the super nifty suppressor friendly switch on the gas block i was sold. so im the new owner of a scar17s.

troy at some point trots out a brand new MI rail extension for the scar17s and asks if i want one. they had just put it on a scar17s to send off for advertising pics. this rail isnt announced as of yet. im the first non-mi person to touch one or lay eyes on it. this replaces the bottom rail section block and extends the rail section out past the gas block allows full acces to the block for cleaning and operation of the gas selector. like all other MI products its solid as a freein rock and continues the T marks all the way out past the block and the rail sections line up with the scar top rail.

so i said hell yeah. i get the very first one off the production line in december. unfortunately i dont have pics but i will first week of december!!

here is the gas selector

bolt carrier and spring which is a captive spring

here is a view of the trigger pack internals

this rifle unlike the scar16 is well balanced and the controls seem right to my hands. one change will be adding a surefire muzzle device so i can run it suppressed.

i like it better than the scar16s. it seems kinda on the same slight orders of improvements as the springfield xd to the xdm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

texaswoodworker Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Very nice. Congrats.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Nice rifle Jon. Congrats.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

thanks!!

now the one thing i was a little hesitant about was the magazine availability which is damn near none atm. as i was thinking about it im replacing a rifle that i only have...one... mag for anyway. so troy has em on massive order and i get 6 when they show up.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

RANGE REPORT! Please

I'm anxious to see what kind of groups you can wring out of it. I've shot the Scar 16 and impressed. I've heard the gas system really tames the 7.62 nato. More videos plzzzz!

What kinda optic you gonna put on her?

Old 11-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

taking it out friday unless something stupid happens at work. you can BET there will be a video if the wife cooperates as a camera woman better heh. im going to mount up my nightforce benchrest scope for accuracy testing. ultimate optic... i dont know yet. im thinking either acog or nightforce. im leaning nightforce heavily. prolly another 3.5-15x nxs f1 since the wife has mine. but nothing is set in stone. the iron sights seem decent but i might swap in some better irons if these dont perform.

the wife has been mking hints that my acog is prolly hers and i just dont know it yet *sigh*

the trigger is pretty stiff but its a battle rifle not a sniper rifle.

im going to be using 168grain smk this weekend

Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #7

Psst I herd Geissele makes a nice trigger......

Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
thanks!!

now the one thing i was a little hesitant about was the magazine availability which is damn near none atm. as i was thinking about it im replacing a rifle that i only have...one... mag for anyway. so troy has em on massive order and i get 6 when they show up.

There is a company that is coming out with a replacement lower receiver for your Scar. I forgot the name of the company, but the receiver is supposed to allow you to run SR25 mags and PMAGs.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Psst I herd Geissele makes a nice trigger......
Yeah 400$ worth!! I think im going to spend some quality time with the rifle before i do anything like that. Bayonet lug addition is on the list of do's if it the scar passes the fun test

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-mark View Post
There is a company that is coming out with a replacement lower receiver for your Scar. I forgot the name of the company, but the receiver is supposed to allow you to run SR25 mags and PMAGs.
I saw that last nite in my surfing for mags. Having an aluminum lower definately has my interest. Thats the big headscratcher for me is why a plastic lower???? notionally i get its for weight and there is no stress factor on it at all. I would feel better with a metal trigger pack.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-mark View Post
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3217

now if only they'd release a monolithic upper or at least a modular upper, so we can start planning and building scars.

Tha'd be soo sweet.
texaswoodworker Likes This