Midwest Industries/BCM
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Midwest Industries/BCM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Midwest Industries/BCM

Is there any difference between the BCM 16" middy that MI sells for $419 vs the seemingly indentical upper for $499 on BCM's site?

They seem to be the same setup...any deviations I should be aware of?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #2

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Is the more expensive one BFH?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

sweeper22 Likes This 
Old 08-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

the 499 one is a bhf. meaning its hammer forged barrel. its the one i use. im getting sub moa with mine. hammer forged ones are heavy duty machine gun type barrels designed to withstand extreme abuse.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

sweeper22 Likes This 
Old 08-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the 499 one is a bhf. meaning its hammer forged barrel. its the one i use. im getting sub moa with mine. hammer forged ones are heavy duty machine gun type barrels designed to withstand extreme abuse.
Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks! Searching deeper into BCM's stock I now see that they have the same setup for the same price.

Now to figure out which I want....how much difference in weight? I'm not a super high volume shooter (and shooting will get spread out over multiple ARs), so I'm thinking maybe the light barrel.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks! Searching deeper into BCM's stock I now see that they have the same setup for the same price.

Now to figure out which I want....how much difference in weight? I'm not a super high volume shooter (and shooting will get spread out over multiple ARs), so I'm thinking maybe the light barrel.
i got my wife the 419 one since she is doing he same type of shooting as you seem to be looking to do. hers is just as accurate. i actually misordered as i was trying to get the light weight pencil barrel and ordered the bhf by mistake. i didnt catch the error until it showed up.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #6

I got the $419 light weight BCM midlength barrel, not BFH. Honestly I can't see any big difference between it and my Daniel Defense CHF (cold hammer forged) barrel. I'd say you'll be fine with the $419 model. IIRC the LW 16" version is about 5 oz lighter than the government profile 16". The BCM and DD both are LW and the only real difference I see between them and my HBAR ArmaLite is from a rest the first cold shot or two don't group as well with others after the barrel heats up. Not a big deal to me but noticable. For someone wanting groups, a quick shot or two to warm the barrel would help.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sounds like the $419 LW BCM upper is where I'm strongly leaning. Add a Magpul rear MBUS, BCM bcg, Gunfighter ch, MOE hg, and I'm at about $700 for the whole upper. Not bad.

The only other uppers I'm considering are Noveske ML (with BCG/CH/MOE) for a little over $800 and a Spike's ML (BCG/CH/MOE) for $510 from JoeBob's (out of stock). If I go the Noveske route I'll get it through ROG, a board vendor. That Spike's is awful tough to beat for the money, but who knows when it'll ever be in stock...or more specifically, if I'll happen to be at my computer for the 10mins that they have it in stock.

It'll be a 16" ML, with DE MOE furniture. I'm leaning toward a Vortex red dot. PSA has a deal where you can get a Sparc or Strikefire + Magpul MBUS for like $180.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Sounds like the $419 LW BCM upper is where I'm strongly leaning. Add a Magpul rear MBUS, BCM bcg, Gunfighter ch, MOE hg, and I'm at about $700 for the whole upper. Not bad...
That's exactly the configuration for my midlength upper from BCM. I'm very pleased with it. It's also the same configuration for my Daniel Defense upper from a year earlier.

______

Old 08-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Sounds like the $419 LW BCM upper is where I'm strongly leaning. Add a Magpul rear MBUS, BCM bcg, Gunfighter ch, MOE hg, and I'm at about $700 for the whole upper. Not bad.

The only other uppers I'm considering are Noveske ML (with BCG/CH/MOE) for a little over $800 and a Spike's ML (BCG/CH/MOE) for $510 from JoeBob's (out of stock). If I go the Noveske route I'll get it through ROG, a board vendor. That Spike's is awful tough to beat for the money, but who knows when it'll ever be in stock...or more specifically, if I'll happen to be at my computer for the 10mins that they have it in stock.

It'll be a 16" ML, with DE MOE furniture. I'm leaning toward a Vortex red dot. PSA has a deal where you can get a Sparc or Strikefire + Magpul MBUS for like $180.

That 16" Noveske Basic MOE can actually be had for sub $800. PM me for details. With that said, the BCM set-up you are looking at is a very attractive one. You are spot on regarding Spike's...they do not stay in stock for long and are hard to get back in stock. You'll need to get an iPad and have constant wifi to be able to react quickly enough to email notifications for Spike's stuff.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.