Midway USA Lower Build Video
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Midway USA Lower Build Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 69

This was just posted and I noticed it, watched it, and honestly thought it had a host of great tips that I hadn't seen in other videos If I am like many of you, I have watched too many of these videos so I am picky about the ones that I add to my build document below, and share. Let me know what you think, I am interested to hear what you all think.

Lots of good comments below, read on

http://youtu.be/pcko0UlvQxQ
Thought I would add the upper video that was just posted.

http://youtu.be/_W8Rh5YrWYA

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Last edited by monteros; 06-26-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #2

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

I liked the video but I'm surprised Midway didn't also show how to install a carbine receiver extension which is much more popular today than the rifle RE. They didn't mention the A2 adapter in the long rifle stock either. Also I never, never, NEVER put Loctite on the threads of the RE. Grease on the hidden detents and springs probably is a good idea but I just lightly oil and figure it'll do. I don't lube the buffer and spring since oil gets in there anyway.

More close ups of how to do the FCG, especially the hammer/trigger springs would be good. And it was odd he made a point to say to insert the unnotched end of the trigger pin first then didn't say it was more important to do this for the hammer. (Why get caught on the J-spring twice!)

Lastly, it's obvious they like to sell tools! I get by with what's in the garage (well, I bought a $1 clevis pin to install the pivot pin detent - hey why didn't he mention the big plastic bag trick!). No doubt tools are good though and make sense if you're doing a lot of lowers.

Still, a very helpful video!

Edited due to the idiot iPad spell check. It needs a much larger database of properly spelled words. It doesn't like the words "detent", "clevis", "unnotched", etc. I hate Apple! I try to only browse with the piece of crap and use a real machine to type since I can spell without any "help" from that retard. Wife likes the piece of crap and I use it just to see how a tablet works.

Anyway, just like building an AR, you can build a better PC if you do your research.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 06-24-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

I personally thought it was a bit much for tools too =D But, its neat to see what people use etc. I do need to pick up some lube - didn't lube anything I have done so far, pins, detents, etc.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6013 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

couple things about building a rifle lower.

DONT USE LOCKTITE ON THE BUFFER TUBE OR LOWER THREADS!!!!!!! the torque needed to break the loctite if you need to remove it later can sheer off the stock extension.

DO NOT "SNUG UP" THE BUFFER TUBE!!!! this can bind the plunger or break the tip of the plunger off or damage the buffer tube.

the buffer tube is very delicate in the thread area until it is attached to the lower.

the tube should be screwed in without thread locker of any sort until it contacts the buffer retainer plunger then backed off just a scootch while still retaining the buffer retainer. the stock itself will keep the buffer tube from backing out or unscrewing under use. a small drop of blue loctite or rocksett(preferred) on the stock screw will secure it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-24-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #5

Great info JonM

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #6

Y'know they really should have emphasized a safety check of the FCG after the build too. You definitely want that to work properly!

Rack the charging handle to cock the hammer (or manually cock it if the upper isn't installed) then turn the selector to Safe. Pull the trigger repeatedly. The hammer should NOT fall.
Turn the selector to Fire and pull and hold back the trigger. The hammer SHOULD fall. (If you're doing this test without an upper be sure to catch the hammer with your thumb, don't let it slam into the bolt catch and receiver!)
Keep the trigger held back then rack the charging handle to cock the hammer again or cock manually. The hammer should be held back by the disconnector.
Release the trigger. The the hammer should slip off the disconnector and be caught by the trigger sear.
Repeat many times. It should always work properly.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6013 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

its also wise to insert a empty mag into the gun and make sure the bolt locks rearward.

put a AR lower together for a buddy, he brought the parts over in a baggy wanting to assemble a pistol lower. i put it together did a function check and the bolt wouldnt lock back on a empty mag. did some fiddling and he had ordered a carbine buffer for a pistol buffer tube.

saved him some grief at the range finding that out quick. the two buffers side by side are obviously different but by itself in a bag of parts not so obvious.

one other thing. please dont retap the grip screw hole. unless its so far out of wack your just risking real issues for no real benefit. same with taking a drill bit to the various holes. if the lower is so far out of spec or the finish work is so crappy you need to drill the holes you should prolly contact the manufacturer. once you stick a drill bit or tap into a hole you voided any warranty implied or otherwise.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-26-2013 at 05:55 AM.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #8

Awesome info guys, thanks.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 06-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #9

They posted the 2nd video, for the upper build, so I added it above. Input is greatly appreciated.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 06-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
... one other thing. please dont retap the grip screw hole. unless its so far out of wack your just risking real issues for no real benefit. same with taking a drill bit to the various holes. if the lower is so far out of spec or the finish work is so crappy you need to drill the holes you should prolly contact the manufacturer. once you stick a drill bit or tap into a hole you voided any warranty implied or otherwise.
I also thought that was horrible advice. Terrible advice! That guy's got too many yes men, someone should have stepped up and said, "Uh boss, that's not a good idea."

I have hand turned a drill bit in holes to remove burrs. (My ArmaLite lower was the only one that had burrs. Haven't had to do in four other lowers.) Maybe he does that because he uses DPMS lowers.

______