Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Mid-Length Handguards/Quad Rails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Yes I have looked at Troy products. They look about the same as any of the other rail systems to me, but I have heard they are of high quality.

After a lot of indecisiveness, I went in the direction of standard mid-length hand guards with 2 axillary rails in order to mount my angled fore-grip and possibly a light.

Went with the Calvary C8, 2 6" Magpul picatinny rails and 2 sets of the Magpul XTM modular rail panels. I think that will allow me to shoot comfortably with in the realm of ergonomics that I had envisioned AND keep the rifle reasonably balanced.

All that with shipping for just over $50 from DSG Arms! They were the only spot I could find all the pieces to the puzzle at. Hell, even Midway didn't have a mid-length handguard that I could use mounts with.

Note: Midway has the NEW Magpul MOE handguards (in all lengths) listed on their website. The Carbine lengths are available now, Rifle lengths available on 7/15/2010 and mid-length not until 9/15/2010.

So I figure if the current set up doesn't cut it, I got the Magpuls coming soon for a trial. I may just swap out anyways.
Awesome and well thought out.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

I think you made a wise choice diggsbakes and the cost sure didn't hurt too bad. You needed some kind of handguard now and even if you replace them later it doesn't hurt to have a standard set for a spare. I picked up a set of used RRA midlengths at the last gun show. Didn't need them but oh well, they were $9. Maybe I should experiment on them...

Let us know what you think of them and the add on rails.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-12-2010 at 03:51 PM.