Mid-Length Handguards/Quad Rails - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Mid-Length Handguards/Quad Rails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well said, Quentin.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

One thing that just dawned on me is buying used. Many guys buy high quality parts to find out they dont fit their needs and sell them for a great price. I did this w/ a Noveske 7.5" upper. Sold it brand new never fired for almost $400 less then I paid 3 weeks prior. Check out the Equipment Exchange on some of the bigger AR sites. THose guys are always selling slightly used stuff from top shelf companies.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback guys!

Let me be a little more clear about what I meant by "economical": Best product for the price. Not just cheap. I think a couple of you are with me on that.

It's not that I can't buy a top of the line set, but I'd really feel great about this build if it stayed under the $1000 mark as I feel it is a quality firearm. (more to come on that )

If I gotta go a bit over, oh well.

All suggestions and feedback is much appreciated. Now I just need to get on it so I can shoot the damn thing!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

hers another good upper for a great price.

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Rainier Arms Combat Series | Rainier Arms Combat Series Upper - CB16

Old 07-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Upper??? While that is a great price on an upper, this thread was created for suggestions on mid-length hand-guards/rails.

I have found that options are scarce and I'd HATE to go with a "run-of-the-mill" 2 piece tapered version, but that's all I'm finding (for mid-length), other than the Yankee Hill Free-Float.

When are the Magpul MOE mid-length hand-guards going to be available??? Everything says "Summer 2010"??? Don't know 'bout ya'll, but it's hot enough here to be considered summer.

Any other sources for hand-guards (not uppers) other than the standard round A2 type?

It's looking like Yankee Hill is the only option. . .

Old 07-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #16

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I'd like to stay under $100, but I know that's not always possible. Preferably free float, but not imperative for this gun.

YHM Lightweight 4 Rail Forearm CAR length

YHM’s Lightweight Forearms features include: mounting points for YHM’s Swiveling Sling Studs (YH9469 sold separately), Mil. Spec. Picatinny rails and they accept YHM’s Forearm End Cap (YH9484 sold separately). The barrel nut and forearm tube are made of aircraft quality aluminum and hard coat anodized to Mil. Specs. The jam nut is made from quality steel and phosphate coated. All assemblies include: one jam nut, one barrel nut, and one forearm tube.

$109.99
AR15 kits and M-16 Parts From Top quality manufacturers of rifle barrels and parts.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 07-11-2010 at 05:43 AM.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Upper??? While that is a great price on an upper, this thread was created for suggestions on mid-length hand-guards/rails.

I have found that options are scarce and I'd HATE to go with a "run-of-the-mill" 2 piece tapered version, but that's all I'm finding (for mid-length), other than the Yankee Hill Free-Float.

When are the Magpul MOE mid-length hand-guards going to be available??? Everything says "Summer 2010"??? Don't know 'bout ya'll, but it's hot enough here to be considered summer.

Any other sources for hand-guards (not uppers) other than the standard round A2 type?

It's looking like Yankee Hill is the only option. . .
Looks like I posted that in the wrong thread.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I keep looking and have concluded that there are only a few mid-length options available.

1. Really expensive free float rails. Nice, but all over $200

2. The Yankee Hill set that Slo suggested. Probably the most reasonably pricede, quality rails.

3. Stuff from DPMS, Rock River and Calvary.

4. And then the UTG. . . ARE THEY REALLY damaging to the firearm? The reviews don't seem all that negative.

I wish I could come up on a set of those Magpuls. I guess I'm willing to settle for basic handguards as long as I could mount a couple rails to 'em. . .

Last edited by diggsbakes; 07-12-2010 at 04:49 AM. Reason: whops

Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Have you looked into any of the Troy brand hand guards? They are well under $200 and hold up very well. The Troys come in 7"-13" choice of top and bottom rail or quad rail.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yes I have looked at Troy products. They look about the same as any of the other rail systems to me, but I have heard they are of high quality.

After a lot of indecisiveness, I went in the direction of standard mid-length hand guards with 2 axillary rails in order to mount my angled fore-grip and possibly a light.

Went with the Calvary C8, 2 6" Magpul picatinny rails and 2 sets of the Magpul XTM modular rail panels. I think that will allow me to shoot comfortably with in the realm of ergonomics that I had envisioned AND keep the rifle reasonably balanced.

All that with shipping for just over $50 from DSG Arms! They were the only spot I could find all the pieces to the puzzle at. Hell, even Midway didn't have a mid-length handguard that I could use mounts with.

Note: Midway has the NEW Magpul MOE handguards (in all lengths) listed on their website. The Carbine lengths are available now, Rifle lengths available on 7/15/2010 and mid-length not until 9/15/2010.

So I figure if the current set up doesn't cut it, I got the Magpuls coming soon for a trial. I may just swap out anyways.