Mid length gas system vs. carbine length
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Mid length gas system vs. carbine length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mid length gas system vs. carbine length

I am looking to get my first AR. I have been doing my research for a few weeks and have a question. What are the differences ( other than the length ) of mid length and carbine length gas sytems? Are there advantages to either? I am looking at Rock Rivers. I will mostly be plinking at the range with some coyote / praire dog hunting thrown in.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky17 View Post
I am looking to get my first AR. I have been doing my research for a few weeks and have a question. What are the differences ( other than the length ) of mid length and carbine length gas sytems? Are there advantages to either? I am looking at Rock Rivers. I will mostly be plinking at the range with some coyote / praire dog hunting thrown in.
Main purpose of the carbine length gas system was to allow sufficient pressure to remain in the barrel to cycle the bolt on the original military M4 equipped with a 14" or shorter barrel. No real advantage to having it on a civilian AR other than retaining the M4 look. It will generally have a sharper recoil impulse than a mid length or rifle length system, but that can be mitigated with a heavier buffer. A shorter gas system will also shorten the sight radius if you use a standard A2 type FSP. Personally, of the three I prefer the mid-length as it has a softer recoil and offers more foregrip and sighting choices without necessarily having to go to a lo pro gas block.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

The "carbine length" gas system was used on the 16" guns way before the M-4 was dreamed up. What ever gas system is used, it must have a gas port drilled to balance gas system length, barrel length and gas port size. The carbine length or mid length can be used on a 16" barrel but the port size will be different.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Unless you have a lo profile gas block a free float a oversized rail/hanguard over it:

Middys have 2 inches more rail to hold onto, and 2 inches more sight radius, but trade of off a little eight for it.

IMHO since most manufacturers over gas their systems, the whole smoother cycling thing is a moot point.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

What barrel length are you looking at? What kind of ammo, Wolf or high powered or everything? Which buffer weight will you get? AR or M16 bolt carrier? Does your manufacturer choose the best gas port size for each system? There are advantages to each gas system length but you need to fill in more blanks before choosing which is best for you. If it comes down to a tie I'd go with the longer gas system if it will reliably cycle your rifle.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
What barrel length are you looking at? What kind of ammo, Wolf or high powered or everything? Which buffer weight will you get? AR or M16 bolt carrier? Does your manufacturer choose the best gas port size for each system? There are advantages to each gas system length but you need to fill in more blanks before choosing which is best for you. If it comes down to a tie I'd go with the longer gas system if it will reliably cycle your rifle.
Barrel length is 16". Shooting mostly handloads since I also have Remington 700 bull barrel 223. Buffer and bolt carrier (AR?) would be standard for Rock River Arms.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky17 View Post
Barrel length is 16". Shooting mostly handloads since I also have Remington 700 bull barrel 223. Buffer and bolt carrier (AR?) would be standard for Rock River Arms.
Back in the late '90's, there was someone who was making pigtail shaped gas tubes to increase the length of the tube so the carbine would be the same length tube as a 20 inch barrel. I don't know if it worked, or people didn't want to spend some time and money finding out.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #8

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Back in the late '90's, there was someone who was making pigtail shaped gas tubes to increase the length of the tube so the carbine would be the same length tube as a 20 inch barrel. I don't know if it worked, or people didn't want to spend some time and money finding out.
From what I've read it didn't do much, an extra 2" of gas tube had little effect. What makes the difference is where the gas port is on the barrel.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #9

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
I think Brownells still sells those