Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Mid Length AR info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mid Length AR info

I'm looking to buy a high quality mid length with a 16in barrel complete rifle been looking into BCM but was looking for some quality opinions on a mid length carbine

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5271 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Bcm is pretty much the best there is without getting ripped off money wise. Im running one of their middy lightweight cfh rifles with acog and magpul furniture. I use it suppressed and unsuppressed its a fantastic gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #3

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

I'd say keep looking into BCM.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Bcm is pretty much the best there is without getting ripped off money wise. Im running one of their middy lightweight cfh rifles with acog and magpul furniture. I use it suppressed and unsuppressed its a fantastic gun.
I was looking at the one with the quad rail and rear site that they have on there website should I go with the regular or the Lite Weight model that's my main question now

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 04-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5271 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Its a matter of weight vs fire rate.

The heavier barrel allows for a slightly higher rate of sustained fire at the cost of being heavier. My preference is for lighter faster handling rifle for defensive use.

My carbine is the cold hammer forged chrome lined lightweight model which gives the best of both worlds. Mine shoots moa with iron sights and slightly sub moa at 100yds with the acog.

My preference is not for rails as i dont think a good rifle needs anything but a sling and an optic. I have no use for quad rails personally. But thats my personal preference.

It comes down to what you like or want. Any upper from bcm is good to go.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 221 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBizz87 View Post
I'm looking to buy a high quality mid length with a 16in barrel complete rifle been looking into BCM but was looking for some quality opinions on a mid length carbine
What's your budget?

When it comes to complete rifles, it's really tough to beat Daniel Defense's quality in the $1200-1600 range. In that range they're going to give you a tough as nails and superlight milspec rifle, and it'll probably come with one of the better ($300+) handguards on the planet.

I really like BCM and PSA for builds. BCM is the slightly trendier and spendier of the two, but their service and product are outstanding. Both offer good value. And you can mix/match parts in your build, depending on your priorities. My builds tend to end up in the vicinity of $1200, before optics. But that's with pretty solid upgrades throughout, and a very modest handguard.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:

The heavier barrel allows for a slightly higher rate of sustained fire at the cost of being heavier. My preference is for lighter faster handling rifle for defensive use.

My carbine is the cold hammer forged chrome lined lightweight model which gives the best of both worlds. Mine shoots moa with iron sights and slightly sub moa at 100yds with the acog.

My preference is not for rails as i dont think a good rifle needs anything but a sling and an optic. I have no use for quad rails personally. But thats my personal preference.

I agree with JonM, in fact he and I independently bought BCM 16" LW midlength uppers the same week. No talking about it ahead of time but independent research led us to almost the same upper. I also passed on a standard rail (MOE instead) and stayed with the A2 FSB. I'm very pleased with BCM and you'd be hard pressed to beat their products.

I also agree with Sweeper and do have Daniel Defense and PSA uppers. DD tends to cost a little more than BCM, PSA less. All three have performed well for me.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post

What's your budget?

When it comes to complete rifles, it's really tough to beat Daniel Defense's quality in the $1200-1600 range. In that range they're going to give you a tough as nails and superlight milspec rifle, and it'll probably come with one of the better ($300+) handguards on the planet.

I really like BCM and PSA for builds. BCM is the slightly trendier and spendier of the two, but their service and product are outstanding. Both offer good value. And you can mix/match parts in your build, depending on your priorities. My builds tend to end up in the vicinity of $1200, before optics. But that's with pretty solid upgrades throughout, and a very modest handguard.
I'm looking to spend no more the $1400 been a fan of BCM for a while shot a few of them they feel smoother then most rifles in the same price range DD I have shot aswell but just not quite right for me something about them is different not sure which way to go I'm only looking for a mid length gas system non piston and there are only a few I've seen that fit my standards

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #9

Quote:

Not really looking to build one want want that's high quality right out of a box just don't have the time to do all the work myself

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBizz87 View Post
Not really looking to build one want want that's high quality right out of a box just don't have the time to do all the work myself
Well it can be hard to find a complete BCM for sale right now. Complete BCM uppers are getting easier to find and over the last couple weeks I've seen complete BCM lowers so you could just pin those together if you can't find a whole rifle.

______