Metal shavings in bore - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Metal shavings in bore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

My biggest concern right now is whether or not i have a warranty issue

Old 03-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
Or if it is just a rough edge on the bore lining will it wear in with use? Or just mess with accuracy from the beginning
I am going to defer to the more knowledgeable here. My first thought was perhaps it's a matter of the locking lugs just getting slammed and the rough edges are coming off. but I know there are far more knowledgeable ppl here with more experience than I.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Or if it is just a rough edge on the bore lining will it wear in with use? Or just mess with accuracy from the beginning
Chrome lined barrels are not really sought after for their accuracy. Sure they are combat accurate enough but I doubt you will ever find a bench rest shooter with a chrome lined barrel. The reason for the chrome lining is to reduce the likelihood of rust within the chamber and bore thus improving reliability.

Could it be chrome from the barrel flaking off? Yes, maybe.

Could it be metal shavings/burs left over from the manufacturing process? Possibly.

Could it be pieces of your cleaning rod abrading off? yes (assuming your cleaning rod is a polished aluminum).

Could it be "lapping" from the bolt and barrel extension?

So many possibilities. My suggestion is take it to a gunsmith with a bore scope who can inspect the bore. You should inspect your cleaning rod thoroughly and perhaps use a different cleaning rod to see if this still happens or if the shavings are a different color.

Also inspect the bolt closely and see if there is any unusual wear on the bolt.

Pics might be able to help us identify what you're looking at.

What kind of ammo are you shooting?

Are you able to remove ALL the shavings when cleaning and if so have you shot the rifle again and did the shavings come back?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #14

Thanks. There are tiny scrapes on the alum cleaning rod and im thinking since the bore is so tight, the xtra flex caused it to scrape on the rifling.
This was discovered before shooting any rounds through it so it cant be ammo or bolt wear.
Shot it sunday and it was fine. I am not going to clean it till i pick up a bore snake and not use the rod to push patches through anymore

Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2603 Times on 1271 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

nosaj

Unless I am missing something here! One should not be cleaning the rifle form the Muzzle end to start with. You can damage the rifling's an the accuracy of the rifle! Clean "Only" from the Chamber end. If you are cleaning from the muzzle end the rifling's are probably cutting some of the Bright Aluminum off the cleaning rod. And BOO! on the bore snake idea! Their purpose is for quick cleaning. And if you ever get one or part of one stuck in a bore you will have a new appreciation for a cleaning rod! I am not telling you they do not have a purpose but no substitute for good cleaning an good quality coated cleaning rod like Dewey or other good rod. *In 22 Caliber "Only"! With a brass patch holder and a good brass cleaning brush. Also the patch size is "very important" when cleaning the AR. If the patch is oversize it will also cause problems going into or traveling down the barrel. Which could possibly be your main problem here? Also if your are looking down the barrel from the bore end toward the Chamber end. The shadow you are seeing is the Free Travel, Lead and Throat area of the chamber. Will it chamber a round and extract a round with no problem? If it does it is one of the issues mentioned above. But anything other than what I have explained better get a hold on Bushmaster.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #16

Thanks sniper. Yes it was a .22 size patch but would not push through the chamber without excessive force. Thats why i went throught the muzzle. It had never been shot so i wasnt worried about dragging any fouling or debris through it. Just givin it the initial cleaning to remove any oil/grease/dirt.
I have never used a boresnake and did wonder about it getting caught or snagged. Also I thought the extra surface area made up for not running patches through it. Glad i didn't buy one yet.
I will be switching over to pull style patch holders instead of the cheap plastic push through style

Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

A boresnake is too long for it to get stuck and not have something still sticking out to pull it out with.
Also I am a fan of pulling a patch through as opposed to pushing. I feed the rod through the muzzle end until it comes out the chamber, add the patch and pull it out the muzzle end. Then again I use an Otis cleaning kit with the flexible cleaning rod.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

nosaj, I have some cotton .22 caliber cleaning patches that I cannot get down, the chamber of my .223AR or any .22 rifle for that matter. I just take sizzers and cut about 3/16 off them, and they work fine. You can cut a half a dozen at a time, so it is easy. I also bought some other patches that are the same size square, but are thinner and work fine in my AR. It seems some of the patches are thicker and don't fit well. And with that sometimes you will get flexing of the cleaning rod, if you have a tight fit, so it doesn't go straight down the bore, and could be scraping on the riflings, which is not a good situation. A good carbon fiber cleaning rod is worth its weight in gold, and can save the accuracy of your rifle. Just my .02

Doin' what I can, with what I got.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #19

After the first day shooting, patches travel fine...even being pushed from chamber to muzzle

Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #20

Likes Given: 9

Quote:
2. The patches that did go through had metal shavings on them. Everything looks perfect except some "shadows" on the end near the chamber
You said "shadows" are these markings on the rifling that you can see? (pock marks, scratches?)

After firing are they still visible after the cleaning?