Metal Injection Molding (MIM) BCG Gas Keys
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Metal Injection Molding (MIM) BCG Gas Keys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Metal Injection Molding (MIM) BCG Gas Keys

Is there anything wrong with a MIM gas key on a BCG? I've read some complaints of cracked MIM gas keys where they were staked -- particularly on LMT and PSA full auto/M16 BCGs. I guess the circular MIM mark is between the two rivets/fasteners, to distinguish it from a forged gas key (with no mark). I have a PSA M16 BCG that has a MIM gas key that looks fine. Should I be worried?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5650 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Gas keys can and do break on any type of build. They are routine maintenance parts and if found in a state that shows looseness should be replaced. Everytime you clean your rifle you should inspect the gas system and the entire gun regardless of the rifle design.

The only way to tell if a part is MiM or not is if it breaks and was poorly made you can see metal looks like powder, mold marks are left on the part (indication of lack of technique or care), the manufacturer says its a MiM part. Some yahoo on the interweb telling you something is MiM is NOT a good source of information.

When metal injection molding is done right there is no way to tell the difference between that part and one made from billet steel without an advanced degree in metallurgy and manufacturing processess. In other words you could take 500 MiM parts and 500 forged or billet parts and no interweb "expert" could successfully sort them out.

Butbutbut mim is bad right forged and machined from billet is better??

Well its no worse than any other way of making parts. Garbage in garbage out. All steel starts as iron ore and has to be melted and injected or poured into molds. Use crap or a bad proccess and you end up with crap. The way batch steel is made is a metallurgist takes a guess mixes ores in batches weighing hundreds of tons, melt it to liquid form, take a small scoop dip some out run tests then determine what needs to be added to get the steel they want. The fraction thats actually tested is like baking a cake then tasting one crumb to determine how well its baked.

So once you understand that metallurgy in pouring enourmous batches of billet steel is more about withcraft and guesswork, albiet highly experienced and educated guessing, you start to understand that quality control on the actual manufacturer of your parts is more important than how the metal got in the shape its in.

The reason milspec calls for shot peening and mpi inspecting is because even carpenter steel can have voids or bubbles or cracks. Casting steel into blocks of billet material is no different really than taking powdered steel and using pressure to heat the metal to liquid inside the part mold. Its just faster.

The whole MiM is bad thing comes about because its a easy cheap way to make lots of identical parts and really bad manufacturers use it with cheap metal powder to make cheap parts.

So if a company like jennings or lorcen is using mim i would say yeah that parts gonna break... but if a company like bcm colt rra noveska daniel defense is using a mim part im not gonna worry about. One type of outfitis going to do it half ass the other type is only going to have the best.

So, in my estimation its more about who does the work and the quality control that goes into the part and materials. How the part goes from ore in the ground to a part in my firearm is irrelevent to me

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-24-2013 at 12:51 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #3

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Great post, JonM! Very informative...

PSA says it does not sell a carrier with a MIM gas key but their numbered keys are softer than normal, leading to ugly staking. It's been a hot topic over at AR15.com.

I also a PSA BCG with the numbered key and YFS screws. Right now it's only a spare but I'm watching this topic for more info. A BCM key and screws may be a wise purchase.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 05-24-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

im extrapolating from your reply quentin and this isnt directed at you

there is a reason that psa comes in a scootch cheaper than bcm and its evident that they use lesser materials in some areas. they couldnt deliver a cheaper gun than bcm unless corners were cut somewhere. doesnt mean its bad or wrong to do it as it doesnt make any difference if someparts arent built of indestructinium. it is however bad to say psa sucks because they didnt use aircraft grade screws that boeing uses on fighter jets to secure the buttplates to the stocks of their guns but brand X DOES USE THEM!!!!...

im assuming thats where this question arises since i dont read ar15.com on any real or regular basis.

replacement parts i keep on hand are spare lower parts kit, bolts, extractors, springs, detents, and..... CARRIER KEYS along with their attendant screws!! those are parts any ar15 owner should have on hand to get the gun running quickly.

while i was doing the armory thing in the army the only issues i ever saw were ones involving extractors and carrier keys. takes like 5 minutes to put a carrier key on and they arent that pricey. pop the old key off soon as it starts to loosen DO NOT RETORQUE OR RESTAKE IT!!! and replace it with a new one. the reason you replace it is because in all likely hood the weapon was fired with it loose and this can easily introduce micro-cracking which leads later to a catastrophic deconstruction of your rifle. seen it happen.

now regardless of rifle type whether its an AK47 or AR15 or grandpa's Browning BAR deer getter, if there is an issue with the gas system REPLACE ALL PARTS in question. do not "fix" or "refit" the old ones. cant stress that enough. there are a lot of great guns that are thrown away because someone cheaped out on buying a 15$ gas plug/screw/piston/key reused the failed part and blew their gun up.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

It looks like Glock is having some issues with their MIM firing pins. I guess the issue is not knowing what the quality of the part you have is so why risk it?

http://www.guns.com/2013/05/14/florida-sheriffs-office-reports-problems-with-glock-service-pistols-video/

Last edited by pawjr74; 05-24-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
It looks like Glock is having some issues with their MIM firing pins. I guess the issue is not knowing what the quality of the part you have is so why risk it?

http://www.guns.com/2013/05/14/florida-sheriffs-office-reports-problems-with-glock-service-pistols-video/
same is true of parts whittled out of steel. use crappy steel or a grade not up to snuff and milled parts fail at an astonishing rate when put under stresses the steel isnt rated for.

its not the fault of the MiM process its the fault of those running the machines designing the parts and inspecting the materials.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
same is true of parts whittled out of steel. use crappy steel or a grade not up to snuff and milled parts fail at an astonishing rate when put under stresses the steel isnt rated for.

its not the fault of the MiM process its the fault of those running the machines designing the parts and inspecting the materials.
Good point.

I guess the moral of the story is to order from a quality supplier. If an issue does come up a good company will stand behind their product.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
Good point.

I guess the moral of the story is to order from a quality supplier. If an issue does come up a good company will stand behind their product.
That is spot on. Its something we all lose track of. Its lessons companies have to learn over and over because they continously hire college degree types that have yet to learn lessons in providing a quality product first.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks very much for the superb info, gentlemen, and thanks for correcting my confusion concerning MIM vs forged parts. Still a little puzzled why the gas key on a PSA M16 BCG is [apparently] made of a softer steel than the carrier. Must all come down to dollars and cents -- as Jon mentioned -- and what constitutes "acceptable" quality of the key while still technically meeting the MILSPEC requirements for the carrier and bolt.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #10

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastby View Post
... Still a little puzzled why the gas key on a PSA M16 BCG is [apparently] made of a softer steel than the carrier. Must all come down to dollars and cents -- as Jon mentioned -- and what constitutes "acceptable" quality of the key while still technically meeting the MILSPEC requirements for the carrier and bolt.
I'm assuming the numbered carrier key is softer than the unnumbered key PSA also uses. The reason for this is the ugly, broken staking where it appears the MOACKs staker cuts the softer metal. I don't know for a fact that it's softer but it makes sense.

Still, my PSA carrier key is on tight and when removing the bolt to test for alignment with the gas tube, the key slides over it perfectly, not hitting on left, right, top or bottom - it's flat dead center. So I expect it to function properly.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.