Melonite vs. Chrome lining? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Melonite vs. Chrome lining?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
An interesting update:

At the bequest of the Hardluk1 (:P), I have invested countless hours of exhaustive, in-depth, scintillating, titillating, eye-melting online research, I'd like to first start off by saying that I'm planning a precision build so all my questions and research revolves around precision. I have concluded that FNC for precision builds is good. Better that chroming. But you guys already knew that......

What you didn't know is there's a catch (isn't there always). Talking to a couple of barrel makers, and they recommend that you FNC your barrel AFTER break in. One recommended 60-100 rounds, the other recommended that you wait until you start getting the groups you like. This all makes perfect sense to me.

The reason is that if you take a fresh barrel, you need to break it in to remove any burrs or nicks and/or smooth them out. If you don't, FNC will make harden those imperfections and they will last alot longer, making the break in process a lot longer. One other solution is to have the bore lapped first. (but where's the fun in that?)

If you are looking for a combat / plinking type build, this fascinating tidbit prolly won't interest you much. But keep in mind, this also means that if you take a crappy 4 moa barrel and FNC it, it'll be crappy for possibly forever, kuz it'll take 6000+ rounds to break it in to a 2 moa gun.

As for the whole which is better melonite or chrome? I still think the more important question is which is a better barrel? Then ask it it comes melonited or chromed.
Well, since I started this thread with the question, let me continue it with another.....Tiki, isn't the right question....which is the better barrel for the type of shooting I want to be doing? I have learned ALLOT in my time on this forum from passionate shooters like yourself and Quentin and the one thing I constantly see posted as responses to people's questions is the clarification to the type of shooting people want to do....range, plinking, competition, etc... Just a thought IMHO.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #32

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Aaaaaaa yes, which is why in the beginning I started by saying what my intended use was. You didn't mention what your plans were in the opening post. Btw I read mention of couple hard use / torture tests that say chrome last longer. I didn't mention it because I don't trust the source nor do I know the testing parameters or the sample size, so its just hearsay.

But I still think my ending statement applies to whatever your intended use is. Just add an impled "for you" after the "which is a better barrel?" part just for clarification if you like.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
...As for the whole which is better melonite or chrome? I still think the more important question is which is a better barrel? Then ask it it comes melonited or chromed.
I think this is the best answer to the original question.

Myself, I'll buy chrome lining for my next barrel only because I haven't yet been convinced there's something better in the same price range. Chrome isn't likely the wrong decision.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #34

Liked 329 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

AgentTikki Good job on the research. Kreiger said they were fine with treating a new barrel but concern was toward a customer that sends a barrel to a company for treatment that is not experienced enough with barrels and they cook it at 1400*+. not around 1000*.

Quentin Ahhh , Depends on quality of CL barrels too. Not all chrome is equal. Quality barrel and low quality chrome finish can still egual 2 1/2"+ groups.
Do your own research just to see how many ar builders are starting to see the light with melonite barrels and other parts. Remember , if it ain't going to war it really ain't mil-spec.
I see that even the ar forums have stated to see the light with melonited barrels.

Last edited by hardluk1; 03-22-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #35

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm considering getting a Black Hole barrel FNC'd after break in. I just don't know if I'm really gonna get motivated to remove the barrel after break in. Just being realistic and knowing myself >.< I also don't like the idea of having to wait for the 9-10 week lead times (yes they were one of the people I contacted with many many questions, and Andy (VP) was patient and great to talk to about all my little questions and requests).

The cost of FNC'ing isn't that bad if you can get in on a group buy. I've seen that most will do multiple barrels for a set price of around $200. If you can get a few friends you can get them all done at the same time for a set price. I admit I need to do a bit more research as to finding a good company to do the job, and still reading up on which metals require which treatments (ie Q or QP or QPQ) and which methods (gas or salt baths etc) yeild the deepest penetration and best results. Interestingly, they say that you can FNC a chrome barrel and make the chrome even harder!

As for Krieger, I'm sure they hand lap their barrels. almost negating the need for break in. But I'm sure it'd still be prudent to break in your barrel before treatment.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-22-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #36

Liked 329 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

That is a farly long weight for sure. Cost maybe high but check out superior barrels . They have there "cold blue barrels" from what I read ,melonite . They do use douglas barrels so you know there cheap, right. Also ar15performance has a 190.00 dollar barrel with free shipping, 4150 cmv barrel, 223 wylde chamber 1-8 twist, melonite, 20" barrel. Sounds interesting enought to maybe check in to the barrel. http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/1679/6604

Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7658 Times on 4208 Posts
Likes Given: 7370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I think this is the best answer to the original question.

Myself, I'll buy chrome lining for my next barrel only because I haven't yet been convinced there's something better in the same price range. Chrome isn't likely the wrong decision.
My sentiments exactly. I have a lot of experience with chrome. All good.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #38

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The 7.62x39 Harrison sent me was melonited. I didn't shoot it much at all, maybe 100 rounds. I like chrome lining personally. When a company like DD continues to chrome line their barrels it means something to me. I want to try one of S&W's 1:8 melonited barrels though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."