Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Melonite vs. Chrome lining?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
agenttikki I guess if you want more info you could hunt it up too.
I guess. Is this a roundabout request for more info? Or just a friendly nudge? Aw gawd your not goading me are you??!?!? >.<

Old 03-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #22

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

Quentin,

Nothing wrong with the 1911. I've owned half dozen or so. Still have one. A Clark built bullesye target gun.

But there's no way in hell I'll ever show any respect for Jeffie Cooper, because I don't have any. IMHO, the man wasn't just a dinosaur, but a racist, sexist and arrogant bigot as well.
OJ simpson is a murdering piece of garbage. Doesn't take away the fact he was one of the greatest FB players of all time.

Regardless of ones view of Cooper, his contributions are undeniable.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #23

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

agenttikki Not meee!!

Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #24

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
One nice thing about the First Amendment Ben, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.
And BTW, I do get the senior discount. I'm 68 years old.
And that is one thing I wholeheartedly agree with you on, Locutus. We can both have disagreeing opinions and not turn into jerks over.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #25

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Quentin,

Nothing wrong with the 1911. I've owned half dozen or so. Still have one. A Clark built bullesye target gun.

But there's no way in hell I'll ever show any respect for Jeffie Cooper, because I don't have any. IMHO, the man wasn't just a dinosaur, but a racist, sexist and arrogant bigot as well.
Jeff Cooper lived in a different time so it's difficult to judge him in today's politically correct, hypocritical context. You could apply those same labels to many great leaders in our past. The Colonel's contributions to today's firearms knowledgebase makes him a great man in my view. Wha'd he do, tweak your nose when you acted up in class at Gunsite?

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #26

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
And what's your point?

That's a Humble Opinion? Insolent comes to mind, or contemptuous but not humble.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #27

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Jeff Cooper lived in a different time so it's difficult to judge him in today's politically correct, hypocritical context. You could apply those same labels to many great leaders in our past. The Colonel's contributions to today's firearms knowledgebase makes him a great man in my view. Wha'd he do, tweak your nose when you acted up in class at Gunsite?
** snot bubble **

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
He didn't do anything to me. I just resented the specious garbage he wrote in the magazines. What an incredibly arrogant and self righteous "know-it-all."

Old 03-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #29

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

His writing got me to buy a 1911 36 years ago. Colt Series '70. To this day it was excellent advice!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #30

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

An interesting update:

At the bequest of the Hardluk1 (:P), I have invested countless hours of exhaustive, in-depth, scintillating, titillating, eye-melting online research, I'd like to first start off by saying that I'm planning a precision build so all my questions and research revolves around precision. I have concluded that FNC for precision builds is good. Better that chroming. But you guys already knew that......

What you didn't know is there's a catch (isn't there always). Talking to a couple of barrel makers, and they recommend that you FNC your barrel AFTER break in. One recommended 60-100 rounds, the other recommended that you wait until you start getting the groups you like. This all makes perfect sense to me.

The reason is that if you take a fresh barrel, you need to break it in to remove any burrs or nicks and/or smooth them out. If you don't, FNC will make harden those imperfections and they will last alot longer, making the break in process a lot longer. One other solution is to have the bore lapped first. (but where's the fun in that?)

If you are looking for a combat / plinking type build, this fascinating tidbit prolly won't interest you much. But keep in mind, this also means that if you take a crappy 4 moa barrel and FNC it, it'll be crappy for possibly forever, kuz it'll take 6000+ rounds to break it in to a 2 moa gun.

As for the whole which is better melonite or chrome? I still think the more important question is which is a better barrel? Then ask it it comes melonited or chromed.