Melonite vs. Chrome lining? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Melonite vs. Chrome lining?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,555
Liked 327 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

maybe these guys know a bit more about it. -http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s=melonite+coated+barrels&submit=Search

Agenttikki Guess you will have to look it up to read it. It ain't new, and used by more than most realize. Just new to people that don't look out side the box.

Moly ,and R5 barrels 2 and 3 grove barrel where witchs brew too, once.

Last edited by hardluk1; 03-15-2012 at 05:18 PM.
hardluk1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,106
Liked 6668 Times on 3548 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Chrome.

The military continuously tests new products, and they're still using chrome.
That doesnt mean its superior it just means it is cost effective for them to do so.
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,555
Liked 327 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

jonm Or like so many times it all they care to deal with.

locutus The military is still fly'n 50 year old aircraft and rifles that many would like to see replaced along with the 9mm sidearm.
hardluk1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AgentTikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: City of Lost Angels, Kommifornia
Posts: 3,453
Liked 338 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
maybe these guys know a bit more about it. -http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s=melonite+coated+barrels&submit=Search

Agenttikki Guess you will have to look it up to read it. It ain't new, and used by more than most realize. Just new to people that don't look out side the box.

Moly ,and R5 barrels 2 and 3 grove barrel where witchs brew too, once.


Glock first started making pistols with thatTennfier FNC finish in what...1988? I'm sure FNC is even older than that.

I haven't seen any in-depth or even casual torture testing on FNC rifles. Admittedly, I haven't been looking. I'd be curious as to how long the finish lasts when compared to chrome slow fire, and sustained rapid fire, and how it holds up to heat stress tests will the surface crack under hot n heavy sustained fire. Do you have any sources addressing these issues?
__________________
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.
Know what you know, Know what you don't know. -Paul Pedzolt
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Mynshul

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-15-2012 at 07:26 PM.
AgentTikki is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,958
Liked 7296 Times on 4032 Posts
Likes Given: 7066

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
jonm Or like so many times it all they care to deal with.

locutus The military is still fly'n 50 year old aircraft and rifles that many would like to see replaced along with the 9mm sidearm.
The people who actually use the rifles and 9MM sidearms are pretty well satisfied with them.

I know a lot of Jeff Cooper type dinosaurs would like to go back to ancient weapons and calibers, but they're a small minority.
__________________
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,816
Liked 1147 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The people who actually use the rifles and 9MM sidearms are pretty well satisfied with them.

I know a lot of Jeff Cooper type dinosaurs would like to go back to ancient weapons and calibers, but they're a small minority.

A lot of "Jeff Cooper dinosaurs" know more than you give them credit for. Stupid thing for you to say, show some respect. Nothing wrong with using today's polymer and still mixing in the 1911.
__________________
______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,958
Liked 7296 Times on 4032 Posts
Likes Given: 7066

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
A lot of "Jeff Cooper dinosaurs" know more than you give them credit for. Stupid thing for you to say, show some respect. Nothing wrong with using today's polymer and still mixing in the 1911.
Quentin,

Nothing wrong with the 1911. I've owned half dozen or so. Still have one. A Clark built bullesye target gun.

But there's no way in hell I'll ever show any respect for Jeffie Cooper, because I don't have any. IMHO, the man wasn't just a dinosaur, but a racist, sexist and arrogant bigot as well.
__________________
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,181
Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Quentin,

Nothing wrong with the 1911. I've owned half dozen or so. Still have one. A Clark built bullesye target gun.

But there's no way in hell I'll ever show any respect for Jeffie Cooper, because I don't have any. IMHO, the man wasn't just a dinosaur, but a racist, sexist and arrogant bigot as well.
Well, your comment pretty much reads like 'anyone who gets the senior citizen discount, or is close to it, is a POS and not worth heeding in any way, shape, or foirm'.
__________________
What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?
BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,555
Liked 327 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

agenttikki I guess if you want more info you could hunt it up too.
hardluk1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,958
Liked 7296 Times on 4032 Posts
Likes Given: 7066

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Well, your comment pretty much reads like 'anyone who gets the senior citizen discount, or is close to it, is a POS and not worth heeding in any way, shape, or foirm'.
One nice thing about the First Amendment Ben, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.
And BTW, I do get the senior discount. I'm 68 years old.
__________________
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
barrel lining fmj AR-15 Discussion 5 02-26-2012 07:06 PM
Silver lining AznZOhAn Semi-Auto Handguns 6 10-08-2011 02:35 PM
Gun safe lining roscoe999 DIY Projects 10 01-05-2011 01:52 AM
Hard Chrome , Black Chrome , Nickel Plate , Boron Nitride Electroless Nickel Plating customizedcreat Sponsor Display 4 12-01-2008 01:26 PM



Newest Threads