Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Melonite vs. Chrome lining?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Melonite vs. Chrome lining?

So what are your opinions on which is better ? I am leaving the question a little open ended and somewhat vague as I am interested to see where the comments go. I am at a crossroads and want as many a varied response as possible. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Melonite is an exterior finish. Chrome lining the bore reduces corrosion. I know of no melonite lined barrels. I'm not sure it would be very beneficial.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #3

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

LWRC and S&W both do FNC ferritic nitrocarburizing (aka Melonite and Tennifer) on their AR barrels. I think AR15performance does too.

On paper fnc looks better, but chrome been around a lot longer and has proven itself. Glock has really good track record and with their legendary Tennifer finish. But rifles have a lot higher velocities and pressures than pistols. It remains to be seen which is better.

Honestly how many rounds are you planning to shot in a year? I'm guessing either will serve you fine durability wise. I'm prolly gonna venture that either will probably outshoot you. What I'm getting at iseither way with either choice you can't lose.......

Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Personal opinion?

I HATE being a guinea pig. Let the other high speed low drag guys be the test dummies, I want to have a rifle, or anything for that matter, that I KNOW I can rely on. Simple as that.

Chrome lining has proven itself, and I trust it for my rifles.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

For the folks that think s&w has something new . Here's a bit of reading for the pessimist- http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/02/melonite-surface-treatment-for-barrels-bolts-and-actions/ Runs some search's and even on the ar15 site guys are finally realizing that melonite can be a better product qas many of the top ar companies are now useing it in there rifles.

Bit when cars first came out guys that rode horse's said cars would never be better than a horse too.

Last edited by hardluk1; 03-14-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #6

Yes in theory its looks nicer. My only reservations will take samples in the thousands to fully test. How must FNC stand up to overheating? How long will it last (compared to chrome)? Questions like these can only be answered when you take samples from a huge pool of thousands of barrels, with 10s of thousands of rounds each, and I don't have these resources, and many companies don't either.

Now don't get me wrong, I applaud new techniques and technologies, I like what I see. But only time will tell if its better than chrome durability wise. It does edge out chrome in the accuracy potential department.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
LWRC and S&W both do FNC ferritic nitrocarburizing (aka Melonite and Tennifer) on their AR barrels. I think AR15performance does too.

On paper fnc looks better, but chrome been around a lot longer and has proven itself. Glock has really good track record and with their legendary Tennifer finish. But rifles have a lot higher velocities and pressures than pistols. It remains to be seen which is better.

Honestly how many rounds are you planning to shot in a year? I'm guessing either will serve you fine durability wise. I'm prolly gonna venture that either will probably outshoot you. What I'm getting at iseither way with either choice you can't lose.......
Thanks for the inputs so far. Glad to see the debate rages on. For me, I think I will be doing about 2000-3000 rounds per year. Depends on how much free time I get away from my business. The sad thing is my local gun shop and range people are not the nicest so if I want to "enjoy" myself, I will need to travel and that will cut down on how many trips I can make.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #8

I hear you man! I live in LA, and its not the friendliest state. I have to drive 1.5 hours to get to a range that allows rifles, or drive 2+ hours to get to open BLM land to shoot. Local ranges only allow pistol, shotgun, and .22lr shooting.

With your rate of fire, I think a chrome lined barrel will last you over 10 years! Plenty imho.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
I hear you man! I live in LA, and its not the friendliest state. I have to drive 1.5 hours to get to a range that allows rifles, or drive 2+ hours to get to open BLM land to shoot. Local ranges only allow pistol, shotgun, and .22lr shooting.

With your rate of fire, I think a chrome lined barrel will last you over 10 years! Plenty imho.
Thanks and agree if I could get 10 or so years out of it I would consider it money well spent.....of course if I "REALLY" enjoy myself I would be building more and purchasing additional AR's anyway.....let the games begin!

Old 03-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Chrome.

The military continuously tests new products, and they're still using chrome.