Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Melonite vs. Chrome lining? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/melonite-vs-chrome-lining-60206/)

ar15noob 03-14-2012 05:36 AM

Melonite vs. Chrome lining?

So what are your opinions on which is better ? I am leaving the question a little open ended and somewhat vague as I am interested to see where the comments go. I am at a crossroads and want as many a varied response as possible. Thanks.

robocop10mm 03-14-2012 06:44 AM

Melonite is an exterior finish. Chrome lining the bore reduces corrosion. I know of no melonite lined barrels. I'm not sure it would be very beneficial.

AgentTikki 03-14-2012 07:19 AM

LWRC and S&W both do FNC ferritic nitrocarburizing (aka Melonite and Tennifer) on their AR barrels. I think AR15performance does too.

On paper fnc looks better, but chrome been around a lot longer and has proven itself. Glock has really good track record and with their legendary Tennifer finish. But rifles have a lot higher velocities and pressures than pistols. It remains to be seen which is better.

Honestly how many rounds are you planning to shot in a year? I'm guessing either will serve you fine durability wise. I'm prolly gonna venture that either will probably outshoot you. What I'm getting at iseither way with either choice you can't lose.......

Todd_ 03-14-2012 08:01 AM

Personal opinion?

I HATE being a guinea pig. Let the other high speed low drag guys be the test dummies, I want to have a rifle, or anything for that matter, that I KNOW I can rely on. Simple as that.

Chrome lining has proven itself, and I trust it for my rifles.

hardluk1 03-14-2012 06:31 PM

For the folks that think s&w has something new . Here's a bit of reading for the pessimist- http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/02/melonite-surface-treatment-for-barrels-bolts-and-actions/ Runs some search's and even on the ar15 site guys are finally realizing that melonite can be a better product qas many of the top ar companies are now useing it in there rifles.

Bit when cars first came out guys that rode horse's said cars would never be better than a horse too.

AgentTikki 03-14-2012 06:59 PM

Yes in theory its looks nicer. My only reservations will take samples in the thousands to fully test. How must FNC stand up to overheating? How long will it last (compared to chrome)? Questions like these can only be answered when you take samples from a huge pool of thousands of barrels, with 10s of thousands of rounds each, and I don't have these resources, and many companies don't either.

Now don't get me wrong, I applaud new techniques and technologies, I like what I see. But only time will tell if its better than chrome durability wise. It does edge out chrome in the accuracy potential department.

ar15noob 03-14-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki
LWRC and S&W both do FNC ferritic nitrocarburizing (aka Melonite and Tennifer) on their AR barrels. I think AR15performance does too.

On paper fnc looks better, but chrome been around a lot longer and has proven itself. Glock has really good track record and with their legendary Tennifer finish. But rifles have a lot higher velocities and pressures than pistols. It remains to be seen which is better.

Honestly how many rounds are you planning to shot in a year? I'm guessing either will serve you fine durability wise. I'm prolly gonna venture that either will probably outshoot you. What I'm getting at iseither way with either choice you can't lose.......

Thanks for the inputs so far. Glad to see the debate rages on. For me, I think I will be doing about 2000-3000 rounds per year. Depends on how much free time I get away from my business. The sad thing is my local gun shop and range people are not the nicest so if I want to "enjoy" myself, I will need to travel and that will cut down on how many trips I can make.

AgentTikki 03-14-2012 11:56 PM

I hear you man! I live in LA, and its not the friendliest state. I have to drive 1.5 hours to get to a range that allows rifles, or drive 2+ hours to get to open BLM land to shoot. Local ranges only allow pistol, shotgun, and .22lr shooting.

With your rate of fire, I think a chrome lined barrel will last you over 10 years! Plenty imho.

ar15noob 03-15-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki
I hear you man! I live in LA, and its not the friendliest state. I have to drive 1.5 hours to get to a range that allows rifles, or drive 2+ hours to get to open BLM land to shoot. Local ranges only allow pistol, shotgun, and .22lr shooting.

With your rate of fire, I think a chrome lined barrel will last you over 10 years! Plenty imho.

Thanks and agree if I could get 10 or so years out of it I would consider it money well spent.....of course if I "REALLY" enjoy myself I would be building more and purchasing additional AR's anyway.....let the games begin!

locutus 03-15-2012 03:42 PM

Chrome.

The military continuously tests new products, and they're still using chrome.