Maybe someone can share their knowledge with a new guy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Maybe someone can share their knowledge with a new guy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Maybe someone can share their knowledge with a new guy?

Well id like to say im new to this site. I graduated college got a job and the first thing i bought was nib R.R.A. m4 which was immediately topped with an eotech and a Yankee hill machine quad rail among other minor goodies. I absolutely love it, and it is a great weapon. Im just not absolutely thrilled about targets that are covered by the red dot past 75 yards. Im beginning to think i "need" a new black rifle to serve my long range purposes. Ive done a bit of reading and looked at all the big names (and some smaller ones) web pages and I think i would like to have a RRA varmint a4 24' barrel, or something very similar. I just wish RRA made that model in some different calibers. Im wondering if anybody has any suggestions based on their long range ar's. Much appreciated:

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #2

What sort of distances are you trying to achieve. The AR can reach out to 400-500 meters and still be effective, provided you are shooting the right loads and have a decent optic.

Instead of rushing out and buying a new rifle, try a different optic and heavier 6O-68 grain bullet. (you will most likely get better accuracy out of the 60's because of the 1/9 bbl twist rate that you have.)

Here is just a suggestion on an optic and mount that may help shoot very accuratly out to 350-400 meters. A Millet DMS 1-4x varible power optic and a larue mount for your flat top

The Optic
Millet 1-4X24 DESIGNATED MARKSMAN Tactical SCOPE (DMS)

Mount
LaRue Tactical SPR-E Scope Mount QD LT-139

A Second (some what cheaper) Mount
American Defense RECON X Extended Scope 1 inch rings

Remember this is just an option, it may be a little on the expensive side (approx $465) but its cheaper than buying a whole new rifle and optic combo.

-DM-

Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well my problem with that is i still need a very short range entry rifle. i work in law enforcement and i like the eotech because realistically most of the shots i would have to make would be from 2ft to 25 yards in the dark. I do some coyote hunting and a lot of steel shooting and think it would probably be better for me to have 2 different rifles, different loads and everything.

thanks for the info though

Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #4

I would just put the varaiable optic on and run it that way for both. My work gun is an GAU-5 (M4) with that very optic. Trust me it will work in the conditions you stated that you may possibly deploy yours.

-DM-

Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well maybe i should just say this then. I did not plan my first post very effectively lol. I have an ideal ar for work i love my set up i have on it right now. I want to buy(possibly build) a coyote/steel rifle to be accurate/effective out to about 500 yards, my problem is in deciding what to buy. I like te rock river varmint a4 alot, but im not sure i want .223.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You have the same problem I did when i got my AK. I wanted the two eye red dot for inside the wire moving zombie slaying and plopped the reflex sight on with great results! Then found it worthless for 100yd target shooting. I had a magnitude increase in accuracy using the iron post over the red dot. Wrong tool for the job. Why buy another gun when a quick optic change will do the trick. Granted my usage is paper targets and not bgs who respond in kind. For the “long range” you will be using I think your decision is correct to leave your tactical gear alone for your own piece of mind not to mention legal liability. Any bg requirements further out will require a pay grade change along with the hardware change.

Here’s my "fun gun" solution:

Two eye zombie slayer.

Reach out and touch someone.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

IMHO, if you're fussing about accuracy at 75yds from an M4, you need to practice your shooting. Get rid of the sights and learn to shoot with some iron. If you can hit with iron, you can hit with anything.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-25-2009, 03:54 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If you've got the cash, you might want to look into a SR-25, if your heart is set on an AR platform.

If you can be swayed from the AR: M14SE Crazy Horse and MK14 SEI Rifles: Smith Enterprise, Inc.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i didnt say i couldnt hit anything with my eotech, it just covers up alot of the target at longer ranges. i shot with the iron sights for a while and they were acurate, but my work gun needs to be able to make shots in the pitch black and thats why i went with the red dot.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You have the same problem I did when i got my AK. I wanted the two eye red dot for inside the wire moving zombie slaying and plopped the reflex sight on with great results! Then found it worthless for 100yd target shooting. I had a magnitude increase in accuracy using the iron post over the red dot. Wrong tool for the job. Why buy another gun when a quick optic change will do the trick. Granted my usage is paper targets and not bgs who respond in kind. For the “long range” you will be using I think your decision is correct to leave your tactical gear alone for your own piece of mind not to mention legal liability. Any bg requirements further out will require a pay grade change along with the hardware change.

Here’s my "fun gun" solution:

Two eye zombie slayer.

Reach out and touch someone.
I really don't mean to derail this thread, but here the heck did you get that sweet Soviet-bloc setup there Cane?