Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   May be a stupid question, but I need help....again (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/may-stupid-question-but-i-need-help-again-29727/)

mrasgt 07-27-2010 02:25 AM

May be a stupid question, but I need help....again

Good Evening.....Infidels.....{Achmed the dead terrorist}

Ok, I've owned an AR for some time, trained with one at work for some time, but I'm no armoror. I need some no BS help.

I've read in some pretty prominant books and seen in vidios that the test for bad rings on an AR bolt is the "Stand up" test. This is where after cleaning etc, you extend the extended bolt and sit it up in the table. If it slides down from the weight of the carrier, time for new rings.

Now, I just spent about 500 rounds at the range yesterday with not one hiccup, it ate four different types of ammo. Perfect. No hangs, runs, hits or errors.

Please....Opine.

spittinfire 07-27-2010 03:05 AM

I'm far from an AR expert but I find that test hard to believe. If haven't had a single issue I would keep on trucking. I doubt there was a single bolt that would pass that test in my experience with the Marines and our weapons functioned fine.
If it's flopping around like a goose that's one thing but if it slides in its own bore that's another.

mrasgt 07-27-2010 03:10 AM

thanks

i keep wondering sometimes....the stuff I read and see....:D

any one else heard of this-"TEST'??:)

Dillinger 07-27-2010 02:33 PM

Heard of it? Yes. Believe it? Not so much.

If I understand what you are asking, you have had your AR for a bit, you burnt through about 500 rounds recently without issue, but you tried this test, the unit "failed" and you are wondering if you need new rings?? Yes?

Once the rings truly fail, you will see a NOTICABLE change in the function of the weapon. Basically it isn't going to cycle worth a damn.

One thing that MAY have happened is that your three split rings have become aligned one on top of the other with the split. They are supposed to be spaced out "around the clock" - meaning that you have one split ring facing like 2:00, one facing like 6:00 and one facing like 10:00. If they are all stacked up at say 6:00, more gas than necessary can escape and you can develop cycling problems.

If you are truly concerned about it, here is a cheap and easy solution.

McFarland One Piece Gas Ring for AR-15 Bolt AR15

JD

c3shooter 07-27-2010 04:37 PM

A dry, filthy bolt and carrier will pass that "test" every time. :p

Next!

robocop10mm 07-27-2010 05:53 PM

The test is actually a hanging test. Holt the bolt head and allow the carrier to hang from it. The rings should keep the carrier from falling.

Spacing the gaps is an old DI's tale. The rings will naturally space themselves. There is nothing wrong with the Mcfarland one piece rings.

Dillinger 07-27-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 321195)

Spacing the gaps is an old DI's tale. The rings will naturally space themselves.

:confused: *scratching head*

mrasgt 07-27-2010 11:59 PM

Dill

You have it correct,sir.

The AR in question is a Bushy Disipator. It has seen perhaps 3000 total rounds

with almost no failures. The bolt and rings are original to the gun, which I bought new.

I keep it very clean, and have used everything you can think of for ammo. But because of cost, I have used a lot of Wolf 55 grain. Still, with absolutley no hiccups.

I have done a few upgrades, but the only one to the bolt is a D ring extractor kit which I am very happy with.

I am very familer with keeping the rings staggered around the clock as they say, even though I have heard others say thats bunk.

Thank you all, please feel free to comment further.

This may be a case of me being too picky.

M

spittinfire 07-28-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 321195)
The test is actually a hanging test. Holt the bolt head and allow the carrier to hang from it. The rings should keep the carrier from falling.

Spacing the gaps is an old DI's tale. The rings will naturally space themselves. There is nothing wrong with the Mcfarland one piece rings.

We space the piston ring gaps in the engines we build. We've never dynoed them to see if it makes a difference. If you lined them all up the engine would still run though.