Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > May issue guns weapons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default May issue guns weapons

Reading an article in my new mag about Daniel defenses new DMP 5.56 .sweet looking rifle a 1 to 7 riffling freefloated handguards . The odd thing was the three types of Ammo they chose was odd ,a federal 52g , Hornady 53g and a remmmington 55g . They boasted the whole article about shooting the heavy stuff and-then they chose these ? They claim they shot a .73 .88 and a .97 . Even odder ,the 52 grain was the .73 . A 52 grain in a 1to 7 twist ? I'm getting mine out tomorrow and trying that. Don't think it will be promising.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #2

Liked 574 Times on 306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs
Reading an article in my new mag about Daniel defenses new DMP 5.56 .sweet looking rifle a 1 to 7 riffling freefloated handguards . The odd thing was the three types of Ammo they chose was odd ,a federal 52g , Hornady 53g and a remmmington 55g . They boasted the whole article about shooting the heavy stuff and-then they chose these ? They claim they shot a .73 .88 and a .97 . Even odder ,the 52 grain was the .73 . A 52 grain in a 1to 7 twist ? I'm getting mine out tomorrow and trying that. Don't think it will be promising.
That doesn't make any damn sense. If I shoot that out of my DD CHF 1:7 barrel, it is with 62 grain or higher. I wouldn't dare shoot 55 grain over a 100 yards and aspect a decent group. Unless they were shooting at 25 yards?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Weight doesn't necessarily correspond to length of the projectile. 62 grain ss109 (green tips) are longer than they would be if they were lead core FMJs because they steel is less dense than lead.

Remember weight isn't really what corresponds to the twist rate needed. What you are more interested in is overall projectile length. The longer the bullet the more twist needed. You'd find that lead free projectiles are way longer than their overall weight would suggest.

It just so happens that most bullet are lead core FMJ. So most people automatically assume that the lighter a bullet is the smaller it is.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5480 Times on 3103 Posts
Likes Given: 4757

My colt LE6940 with 1/7 shoots very well with 55 grain bullets.

A 1/12 will not shoot heavy bullets well., But a 1/7 should shoot 55 grainers quite well.

Golda Meier.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

I have had fast twist rate barrels give excellent light bullet performance. It's about repeatability. I had some Black Hills 52 gr varmint rounds that were shooting well under an inch out of a 1:8 twist. Having "too fast" of a twist rate is NOT as bad as having one that is too slow for your projectile. I have had the odd few heavy loads key hole at 100 yards out of a 1:9, and look like shotgun patterns because the bullets wouldn't stabilize.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 04-03-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Weight doesn't necessarily correspond to length of the projectile. 62 grain ss109 (green tips) are longer than they would be if they were lead core FMJs because they steel is less dense than lead.

Remember weight isn't really what corresponds to the twist rate needed. What you are more interested in is overall projectile length. The longer the bullet the more twist needed. You'd find that lead free projectiles are way longer than their overall weight would suggest.

It just so happens that most bullet are lead core FMJ. So most people automatically assume that the lighter a bullet is the smaller it is.
Well I don't believe the remmington and the federals that they used were lead free and . The choice of ammo that they chose is like a person with little knowledge of an Ar would of chosen in my opinion .

Old 04-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #7

Liked 574 Times on 306 Posts

I can get a decent group with 55 , but it does improve when I go heavier, but coincidently also better ammo to.