Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   May issue guns weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/may-issue-guns-weapons-88060/)

Tenderribbs 04-03-2013 04:07 AM

May issue guns weapons

Reading an article in my new mag about Daniel defenses new DMP 5.56 .sweet looking rifle a 1 to 7 riffling freefloated handguards . The odd thing was the three types of Ammo they chose was odd ,a federal 52g , Hornady 53g and a remmmington 55g . They boasted the whole article about shooting the heavy stuff and-then they chose these ? They claim they shot a .73 .88 and a .97 . Even odder ,the 52 grain was the .73 . A 52 grain in a 1to 7 twist ? I'm getting mine out tomorrow and trying that. Don't think it will be promising.

Sgt_Skrb_25 04-03-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenderribbs
Reading an article in my new mag about Daniel defenses new DMP 5.56 .sweet looking rifle a 1 to 7 riffling freefloated handguards . The odd thing was the three types of Ammo they chose was odd ,a federal 52g , Hornady 53g and a remmmington 55g . They boasted the whole article about shooting the heavy stuff and-then they chose these ? They claim they shot a .73 .88 and a .97 . Even odder ,the 52 grain was the .73 . A 52 grain in a 1to 7 twist ? I'm getting mine out tomorrow and trying that. Don't think it will be promising.

That doesn't make any damn sense. If I shoot that out of my DD CHF 1:7 barrel, it is with 62 grain or higher. I wouldn't dare shoot 55 grain over a 100 yards and aspect a decent group. Unless they were shooting at 25 yards?

AgentTikki 04-03-2013 03:35 PM

Weight doesn't necessarily correspond to length of the projectile. 62 grain ss109 (green tips) are longer than they would be if they were lead core FMJs because they steel is less dense than lead.

Remember weight isn't really what corresponds to the twist rate needed. What you are more interested in is overall projectile length. The longer the bullet the more twist needed. You'd find that lead free projectiles are way longer than their overall weight would suggest.

It just so happens that most bullet are lead core FMJ. So most people automatically assume that the lighter a bullet is the smaller it is.

locutus 04-03-2013 03:43 PM

My colt LE6940 with 1/7 shoots very well with 55 grain bullets.

A 1/12 will not shoot heavy bullets well., But a 1/7 should shoot 55 grainers quite well.

SSGN_Doc 04-03-2013 06:49 PM

I have had fast twist rate barrels give excellent light bullet performance. It's about repeatability. I had some Black Hills 52 gr varmint rounds that were shooting well under an inch out of a 1:8 twist. Having "too fast" of a twist rate is NOT as bad as having one that is too slow for your projectile. I have had the odd few heavy loads key hole at 100 yards out of a 1:9, and look like shotgun patterns because the bullets wouldn't stabilize.

Tenderribbs 04-04-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Weight doesn't necessarily correspond to length of the projectile. 62 grain ss109 (green tips) are longer than they would be if they were lead core FMJs because they steel is less dense than lead.

Remember weight isn't really what corresponds to the twist rate needed. What you are more interested in is overall projectile length. The longer the bullet the more twist needed. You'd find that lead free projectiles are way longer than their overall weight would suggest.

It just so happens that most bullet are lead core FMJ. So most people automatically assume that the lighter a bullet is the smaller it is.

Well I don't believe the remmington and the federals that they used were lead free and . The choice of ammo that they chose is like a person with little knowledge of an Ar would of chosen in my opinion .

Sgt_Skrb_25 04-04-2013 01:38 AM

I can get a decent group with 55 , but it does improve when I go heavier, but coincidently also better ammo to.