max distance for red dot optic vs magnification scope - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > max distance for red dot optic vs magnification scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Dr. Shah is THE GODFATHER of Lasik eye surgery in the metro Philly area. I dont even need to question his recognition as he's done over 30k procedures and his name is known all over southeastern PA and surrounding states.

http://www.lasikplus.com/location/king-of-prussia-lasik-center/

Giving this more consideration now than I did before....thanks guys

Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
It is still just a dot, a pure light version of open sights. Even with 20/20 beyond 75 youre approaching pure marksmanship and I'd put that around 75-100 anyway. Meaning, sight is less of an issue than skill beyond a certain range with open sights or a dot. With your vision issues, you should be looking at a good low magnification scope to get your clarity back.
I would disagree that a red dot is at all equal to open/iron sights. Those of us who predate the M4's and Red Dots or ACOGS know we can achieve far greater accuracy with irons than any red dot.

The advantage of the red dot is quicker "close range" target acquisition and far less training time needed to create competent shooters at the expense of creating competent marksman.

I'm certain the M4/Red Dot configuration has contributed to increased hit rates within the ranks but it's also caused Many, many M14's to be pulled out of storage and put back in service as DM "Designated Marksman" rifles which does contribute to a new logistical issue for Commanders.

The reduced range of the 14.5" M4 VS the A2 is a factor but the reduced emphasis on iron sight proficiency is also contributing the problem of effectively engaging targets beyond 300m

Tack
Tack