match trigger questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > match trigger questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default match trigger questions

I am buying the lower parts to my next build at the moment, I want a match two stage trigger. This build is going to be my rifle for competitions. Can anyone give me some insight on particular manufactures and the best quality for the price.

Thanks,
Travis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

the one i hear a lot about is the RRA two stage, but i have no personal experience with it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

For competition??

If you are serious about your competition, then you want a Geissele totally tunable, competition trigger. They are VERY expensive and they are the best trigger for competition ONLY shooters.

If you intend to EVER take this rifle to the field, or use it for any other purpose OTHER than competition, then the RRA is the next, best, most accurate trigger for longer range shooting.

What are the specs on your rifle and who is building it for you?

JD

Old 03-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #4

Quote:
If you are serious about your competition, then you want a Geissele totally tunable, competition trigger. They are VERY expensive and they are the best trigger for competition ONLY shooters.

If you intend to EVER take this rifle to the field, or use it for any other purpose OTHER than competition, then the RRA is the next, best, most accurate trigger for longer range shooting.
Absolutely sound advice!!

I tried a pile of triggers, my Benchrest AR has a Geissele. While it does not compare to purpose built BR triggers, it is the best available. You need to be wary though, I would not shoot my Benchrest lower on a 3-gun setup. The RRA however, would be great for that purpose.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:37 AM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Speaking of triggers could one of you gentlemen pop over and offer some details?

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/single-stage-vs-two-stage-40313/

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I really like my Timmney 4 pounder. Really light and fast yet not to light for a "battle" type rifle.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #7

The specs aren't set right now still in the research and building stages. I have the upper and barrel, 24" coated fluted ported, 1:8 twist. Getting a young mfg. bolt carrier group. Have the scope, illuminated reticule, 10-40x50. I have my lower on order, a spikes tactical stripped lower. I am going to be ordering lower parts kit and trigger this week hopefully.

Just a college student trying to build a rifle to start shooting mid-long range comps with.

If anyone has any input that I have overlooked or any personal experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2722 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

I would go with the Rock River since a lot of shooters at Camp Perry prefer it. Because the pull stays the consistent and does not change during competition. They call it a 4.5 Lb.Trigger. They normally have their trigger checked before the Match to assure it has a minimum of 4.5 lbs which they have to have. If they place they also get a final check. Like a Race Car who wins the race goes to Tech after to assure nothing has been added or weight prior to winning. If you are going to shoot sanctioned events they have a trigger weight rule.
Anyway, for the money and the quality that is what I would go with. I do have a JP Trigger in one of my varmint rifles that is a good trigger.