Match Rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Match Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Match Rifle

I have never had must interest in shooting match with AR-15 but I would like to learn more about it simply for the knowledge and I may enjoy it the more I learn about it. So what makes a match rifle different. I understand longer barrel like 20" and maybe a trigger??? Do people ever shoot with 16"? Irons or scope? And typically how does a "match" work? Set distance, varying distance? I will now sit back and enjoy the ride to school! Thanks guys!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #2

Liked 2111 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Depends on the kind of match.

A National Match rifle is usually made for NRA Service Rifle competition. The rifle must have an external appearance of a general issued rifle. An AR would have a 20" barrel use standard hand guards and use iron sights. To get competitive the rifle may be fitted with a stainless steel match barrel, the hand guards may be free floating and he sights may be finer in size and adjustment. Triggers cannot be less than 3.5 lbs if I remember right or it may be 4.5 lbs.

My match rifle has a cryogenic treated stainless match barrel, floated barrel, 1/4 moa adjustable sights, a RRA match trigger and the upper andover have been bedded at the take down and pivot pin lugs. Mine has no bayonet lug or ash hider as these are optional. Slings can be leather or canvas of an issues style and I chose canvas as it is easier to get set up for timed stages.

A match will usually start with 200 yd offhand slow fire shooting with no sling.
Then 200 yd timed fire from sitting.
300 yd timed fire from sitting or kneeling.
300 yd rapid fire from prone.
600 yd timed and slow fire from prone.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Depends on the kind of match.

A National Match rifle is usually made for NRA Service Rifle competition. The rifle must have an external appearance of a general issued rifle. An AR would have a 20" barrel use standard hand guards and use iron sights. To get competitive the rifle may be fitted with a stainless steel match barrel, the hand guards may be free floating and he sights may be finer in size and adjustment. Triggers cannot be less than 3.5 lbs if I remember right or it may be 4.5 lbs.

My match rifle has a cryogenic treated stainless match barrel, floated barrel, 1/4 moa adjustable sights, a RRA match trigger and the upper andover have been bedded at the take down and pivot pin lugs. Mine has no bayonet lug or ash hider as these are optional. Slings can be leather or canvas of an issues style and I chose canvas as it is easier to get set up for timed stages.

A match will usually start with 200 yd offhand slow fire shooting with no sling.
Then 200 yd timed fire from sitting.
300 yd timed fire from sitting or kneeling.
300 yd rapid fire from prone.
600 yd timed and slow fire from prone.
Cool stuff thanks!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #4

Liked 2111 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell0892 View Post
Cool stuff thanks!
YOu can go to the NRA website and look up Service Rifle Match rules and it will tell you teh rules and course.

It's been a couple years since I shot in a fleet match. So I might be a bit fuzzy on course of fire.