In the market for a new optic for my AR - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

In the market for a new optic for my AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
Can I be your son for Christmas

That's a good plan, your boys are lucky!!
Your funny, that is what my 2 brothers keep saying. Told them that one day when they stopped buying all there toys then they could get the good stuff like I have.

Yes, my boys are lucky. But I think I am the lucky one. I can buy and build what I want and still have it in the family. My oldest is 24, 21, 19, and 16 with one girl 11. They have all been shooting since they were old enough to hold a weapon. Now the 3 oldest are in the military and the 2 younger ones are looking at following.

Shooting is a way of life for us as is military service.
LongBaller71 Likes This 
Old 10-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #32

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf

Your funny, that is what my 2 brothers keep saying. Told them that one day when they stopped buying all there toys then they could get the good stuff like I have.

Yes, my boys are lucky. But I think I am the lucky one. I can buy and build what I want and still have it in the family. My oldest is 24, 21, 19, and 16 with one girl 11. They have all been shooting since they were old enough to hold a weapon. Now the 3 oldest are in the military and the 2 younger ones are looking at following.

Shooting is a way of life for us as is military service.
It's is indeed. I am a vet, my wife is a vet, both our fathers are vets, my oldest son is a vet.

We all shoot. My wife, youngest son, and I are going shooting tomorrow.
LongBaller71 Likes This 
Old 10-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
It's is indeed. I am a vet, my wife is a vet, both our fathers are vets, my oldest son is a vet.

We all shoot. My wife, youngest son, and I are going shooting tomorrow.
Thank you and your family for your service.

So am I, I promised my daughter that I would take her because she missed the last 2 range days.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #34

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you really want a nice scope that won't break the bank look at a Leupold 1-6x.

1x for faster pickup and shooting with both eyes open. 6x will get you to 400 yards easy. Illuminated reticle for even faster pickup. For coyote, 3 gunning, plinking I think this would be a great piece of glass. Not a good choice for long range shooting, or trying to get cloverleaves on paper.

IIRC its not a true 1x, more like a 1.1 so its not going to be as fast as a true rds/hws.

But this is the optic design for competition, and probably my next optics purchase...well this and a LaRue mount, for a 18 or 20" spr type build.

The bit about the generous eyebox has me wet with anticipation.

Lastly at about $1k, it not as expensive as other 1x6 or 1x8 optics.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/LEU91415.aspx

Last edited by AgentTikki; 10-19-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:13 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
If you really want a nice scope that won't break the bank look at a Leupold 1-6x.

1x for faster pickup and shooting with both eyes open. 6x will get you to 400 yards easy. Illuminated reticle for even faster pickup. For coyote, 3 gunning, plinking I think this would be a great piece of glass. Not a good choice for long range shooting, or trying to get cloverleaves on paper.

IIRC its not a true 1x, more like a 1.1 so its not going to be as fast as a true rds/hws.

But this is the optic design for competition, and probably my next optics purchase...well this and a LaRue mount, for a 18 or 20" spr type build.

The bit about the generous eyebox has me wet with anticipation.

Lastly at about $1k, it not as expensive as other 1x6 or 1x8 optics.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/LEU91415.aspx
I like it looks like somthing I should look in to more. Guess I will be doing some research this weekend.

I was also looking at this

LEUPOLD Mark 4 MR-T 1.5-5x20mm (30mm) M2 Matte Illum. CM-R2

it seem to be about the some price.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #36

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf

Thank you and your family for your service.

So am I, I promised my daughter that I would take her because she missed the last 2 range days.
It was truly our pleasure to serve.

Plus the V.A. Takes good care of us now.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #37

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
Would like to try something different. That is why I was asking about the different types of sights that everyone uses.

I like building and shooting new weapon systems and then hand them down to my 4 son's. I know I will never be able to feed all of them (and it keeps my wife from getting all bent out of shape) so I buy, build and give them as gifts to my boys. It is cheaper for me if they buy the ammo. Some guys like to buy old cars and trucks, then fix them up and then sell them, I like to do it with weapons.
You need to set up a trust for the suppressors and short barrel stuff. Your kids can then share everything without having to redo the paper work. Look at building an 11.5" barreled AR. Make it as light as you can with the smallest red dot like a fast fire from burris for a max of 200 yds. Sure looks like fun and talk about CQC defense.

Last edited by Flat Tire; 10-20-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire

You need to set up a trust for the suppressors and short barrel stuff. Your kids can then share everything without having to redo the paper work. Look at building an 11.5" barreled AR. Make it as light as you can with the smallest red dot like a fast fire from burris for a max of 200 yds. Sure looks like fun and talk about CQC defense.
Thanks, that is some good information to tuck away.

Not really looking in to the short barrel stuff. I am looking in to some suppressors though.

Thanks

Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8201 Times on 4480 Posts
Likes Given: 7976

A.C.O.G. TA31F. Get it and never look back!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #40

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
I have read about these and would like to try them. They just look very fragile. I have not had the chance look at one much less hold one.

Aimpoints are built like tanks. If you don't believe me. Watch this...and this is for the micro models, the Pro, M2, M3, & M4 are even more robust. Seriously, this ad is for DD, but damn if the Aimpoint didn't outshine the rifle it was on.