In The Market For A New AR-15 A2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > In The Market For A New AR-15 A2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default In The Market For A New AR-15 A2

I've gone the build route and I don't want to go that way again, and I've gone the M4 route, so I don't need one of those. What I want now is a factory built AR-15 in the A2 configuration. My vision and arthritis caused some problems for me in my building efforts, so I'm ruling that option out. I wasn't happy with the process or the finished product.

So, any suggestions? I see Stag Arms has the Model 4, but that is the only one I was able to find. If you know of other companies making a true A2 version I would really appreciate a heads up on them. Yes, I will consider buying a complete upper and a complete lower, but I just can't see close in well enough to build from scratch.

Thanks for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2417 Times on 1309 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Here you go Doc.
http://www.dpmsinc.com/Standard-Configurations_ep_69-1.html

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 02-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks, JTJ. I'm not that familiar with the brand. Can you tell me anything about them? It just so happens I have a DPMS dealer a couple miles away. Hopefully they will have one in stock I can look at.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

And the eternal question of what are you expecting it to do for you??

The best accuracy A2 out there factory production is the rock river match A2. Its a freekin tack driver and the sights track true. Mine only needed to come down 2 clicks on the front sight post to zero. They are windage trued at the factory. On a good day I can hit half moa groups at 300yds open sights bad day I keep it right at moa.

If your just wanting a go to war

Next step down I would get a bcm A4 upper and bcm bcg and just attach a rra match carry handle.

If you want it to go bang you could get a dpms but expect to have to disassemble the thing to get it built right. I've done more than a few rebuilds for friends on dpms guns. While they function, the slapshod build quality you tend to end up needing to redo it from scratch at some part of a higher round count. Not always true but it happens enough to be worthy of mention.

I'm not sure if psa offers a A2/

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #5

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Page 32 on Centerfire systems flyer . $299 not a complete kit but it will get you closer to what you want I think. Looks like you will need a rifle length barrel and a Stripped lower and a few other small parts, whats confusing in this kit is it says handguard and buttplate may be cracked yet it says triangular handguard not included. I would make a phone call before purchasing to find out what handguard your really getting . But over all its not a terrible deal

centerfire-.223-kit.jpg  

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-26-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JonM. I just want to play. There is a nostalgia angle to it, but no serious use is intended. I believe it would also be something my daughter would enjoy shooting. I don't mind paying more for something that will provide more fun than frustration, so your comments are appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, how would you rate the Stag vs the DPMS assuming both were purchased as complete firearms?

Old 02-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
JonM. I just want to play. There is a nostalgia angle to it, but no serious use is intended. I believe it would also be something my daughter would enjoy shooting. I don't mind paying more for something that will provide more fun than frustration, so your comments are appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, how would you rate the Stag vs the DPMS assuming both were purchased as complete firearms?
Stag is a good product definately head and shoulders better than dpms and only a scootch behind bcm. If they offer a A2 its a great one to go with

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

purehavoc, I appreciate the info, but I'm just not equipped to do a build. My close up vision for that kind of detail work is shot. I do thank you for the reply, but I just can't do it right now. Maybe after I get my cataracts corrected.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Stag is a good product definately head and shoulders better than dpms and only a scootch behind bcm. If they offer a A2 its a great one to go with
Then Stag is probably the way I will go. They are slightly more expensive, but I've always believed that as a rule you get what you pay for. Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #10

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
purehavoc, I appreciate the info, but I'm just not equipped to do a build. My close up vision for that kind of detail work is shot. I do thank you for the reply, but I just can't do it right now. Maybe after I get my cataracts corrected.
No problem , Jon is right I would go Stag before DPMS .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens