Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > A manual for AR's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default A manual for AR's

Haven't had a chance to read it all yet, due to being hundreds of pages long, but I thought this might appeal to many of the AR fans.

http://generalcartridge.net/Documents/M4%2016%2023Pchange8.pdf

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great resource BL!

How about a big sticky?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Great resource BL!

How about a big sticky?
Should I attach this to my previous sticky? I personally think, if Tikki agree's, that this would fit better with his sticky, since his goes into significant detail on the AR as a whole.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #4

Two stickies!! I'm starting to feel like one of them thar smart fellers!!!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

Due to the fact that some of these links are known to vanish with no heads up, I printed it up as a PDF on my computer. If you don't have a PDF writer, but a reader only, you can PM me and I'll be more than happy to email you the document to save to your desktop. Or, you can go here

http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp

and get a free PDF writer that works very well. I've used it for quite a while and found it to be very reliable.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #6

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 686

That's a great resource Ben! Also, I bought that 2008 revision in print at Amazon. IIRC it was about $10. I'll have to look for it again and add a link to your sticky.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
That's a great resource Ben! Also, I bought that 2008 revision in print at Amazon. IIRC it was about $10. I'll have to look for it again and add a link to your sticky.
Thanks Quentin. I think I'll order a more recent hard copy to have as well. I'm wanting, and going, to build a collection of DVD's and such up on the AR.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #8

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Nice find! Thanks!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Unpopulist

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Very cool, thanks!. Saved and to be distributed.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #10

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 686

Here's the link to a printed version. It's a little more than I expected, $18.95 but you are getting 300+ pages.
http://www.amazon.com/Military-Marksmanship-all-Series-Weapons/dp/1601700733/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334959400&sr=1-1

This is Amazon's description:
This manual provides guidance for planning and executing training on the 5.56-millimeter M16-series rifle (M16A1/A2/A3/A4) and M4 carbine. It is a guide for commanders, leaders, and instructors to develop training programs, plans, and lessons that meet the objectives or intent of the United States Army rifle marksmanship program and FM 7-0. This manual is organized to lead the trainer through the material needed to conduct training during initial entry training (IET) and unit sustainment training. Preliminary subjects include discussion on the weapon's capabilities, mechanical training, and the fundamentals and principles of rifle marksmanship. Live-fire applications are scheduled after the Soldier has demonstrated preliminary skills. This manual was revised to include references to new materiel and systems. This revision includes— The new Army total marksmanship training strategy, to include specific strategies for the United States Army Reserve (USAR) and the Army National Guard (ARNG). Information about the advanced combat optical gunsight (ACOG), the AN/PEQ-15 advanced target pointer/illuminator aiming light (ATPIAL), various thermal sights, and the MK 262 round. Information about the alternate qualification record fire courses (known distance [KD] record fire, 25-meter scaled target alternate course, 15-meter scaled target alternate course). Information about the rapid magazine change and barricade transition fire for short-range marksmanship (SRM). Changes to all of the scorecards. Updated terminology.

And this is a review I wrote on the TM:
This is the DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY RIFLE MARKSMANSHIP M16A1, M16A2/3, M16A4 and M4 CARBINE field manual FM3-22.9 dated August 2008. It supersedes an earlier version from April 2003 which can be found online if you'd like to see what this book is all about.

There's a tremendous amount of reference material here, from familiarizing yourself with the AR-15/M16/M4 family of rifles to zeroing, marksmanship, training, accessories, combat and much more. Much of it won't be of interest to many readers but a lot will. I found the book fascinating. I initially read through the online version and decided this was a book I wanted on my shelf.

The cost is reasonable considering the large amount of information packed into 300+ pages and that you can settle back in your easy chair instead of reading online. The book is laid out well and has a complete and useful table of contents. But the print is small so make sure you have good reading glasses for this one. Larger print would have improved the book but I'm still giving it five stars for content.

Take a look at the table of contents or online version and if this is up your alley definitely pick it up.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.