Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Malfunctioning Bushmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Malfunctioning Bushmaster

One of my shooting buddies has a Bushmaster XM15-E2S that every now and then will light off two. We can't tell if it's the trigger and I myself don't have a lot of experience with this particular weapon. Clearly. it can't be used as it is.

Does anyone know if this is a common issue with this particular model

I field stripped is completely this past weekend and see no evidence of any worn parts or battered edges to any of the internal components.

Should it just be looked over by someone more knowledgeable than myself as my gunsmithing skills are the high end of amateur at best.

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7615 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Dear Eric: The Bushmaster needs to go to a professional smith ASAP. What you have just descibed is good for 10 yrs in the Federal pokey, AND a fine of up to $250,000. What you just descibed is an unregistered machine gun. Due to floating firing pin design, there are sometimes issues with soft primers being lit by firing pin scooting forward- but I would run from this like a cat running from a police dog convention.

If you think my reaction is unduly cautionary, I HAVE seen the inside of some of the Federal Penitentiaries, and the Feds HAVE arrested, convicted, and imprisoned people with malfunctioning firearms. On a 1-5 scale of bad situations, you are about at a 17.5 right now.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #3

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

You gotten between a rock and a hard place here since the NFA defines even a malfunctioning semi-auto as a machine gun if a single trigger pull results in multiple discharges. I would suggest, after ruling out operator error, getting it repaired immediately.

By operator error I mean allowing the trigger to be reset and then pressed during recoil by the shooter...sort of an unintentional bump fire.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1818 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Erik,

Have you ever installed a trigger in the AR-15?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthebald View Post
One of my shooting buddies has a Bushmaster XM15-E2S that every now and then will light off two. We can't tell if it's the trigger and I myself don't have a lot of experience with this particular weapon. Clearly. it can't be used as it is.

Does anyone know if this is a common issue with this particular model

I field stripped is completely this past weekend and see no evidence of any worn parts or battered edges to any of the internal components.

Should it just be looked over by someone more knowledgeable than myself as my gunsmithing skills are the high end of amateur at best.

Thanks in advance.

Go see a gunsmith. Most likely it is just bump firing and a heavier trigger will fix the problem. If not than something is out of spec. Good luck.

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Call BM and see what they say.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Normally this is an easy fix. But still waiting on Erik to respond as to his knowledge of the rifle.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #8

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Normally this is an easy fix. But still waiting on Erik to respond as to his knowledge of the rifle.

He has been scared off...

Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #9

Default Malfunctioning Bushmaster

What you're describing could be caused by "slamfire" (due to binding of the firing pin in the bolt). I've run into this commonly with SKS's; occasionally with AK's and once with an M1A. Though I've heard that true slamfire can cause multiple discharges in an AR, I've never actually seen it. I'd be more concerned about problems in the fire controll system (FCS). Just the same, before you start tearing your lower apart it might be a good idea to be sure that's where the problem is.

Recommend the following.....
1.) Swap out the bolt.
2.) If the gun functions OK you've isolated the problem to the bolt.
- Pull the pin examine it closely for buurs or other defects that might
impede it's movement in the channel.
- Clean the channel well (blow it out with an air hose if you've got one).
- If the problem persists consider replacing the pin.
- If the problem persists consider replacing the bolt itself.
3.) If the problem is not remedied with the bolt swap you've got issues down
in fire control.
- Worn or defective disconnector (the most common cause cause)
- Worn or defective hammer or trigger.
- The problem you describe can also reslt from a loose fitting FCS
(especially when due to a worn trigger pin hole) or sloppy upper/lower
reciever interface.

If the gun appears reasonably tight, I'd swap out the disconector AND hammer as a cheap first step. If you're not comfortable servicing these parts I'd get a qualified smithy to take a look.

Don't feel too bad. I've never cared much for Bushies. Thier QC leaves a lot to be desired. I've seen too many problems in freind's guns and the one I did have I eventally ended up replacing the bolt and trigger group before I got it to where I needed it.

Good luck and be careful. The ATF atrocities cited on this thread are not just urban legend.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ok,

If he was scared off I will tell you the easy fix! I was going to find out if he knew how to remove the Trigger Assembly. Troubleshooting this problem: If it is only happening periodically the fix is simple! Replace the Disconnector Spring and be sure you insert the large end into the Trigger. It should snap into position and stay. I have repaired a hundred or more of them by doing this simple replacement!