Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Malfunction test (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/malfunction-test-97742/)

jlee0812 09-27-2013 10:15 PM

Malfunction test

I have an m&p 15TS... I've got 3000 plus rounds down the pipe with no issues.... I lube it after each trip and thoroughly clean it about each 150-200. I want to see exactly how many rounds with lubing in between each session only... it takes to get to Malfunction... my question is... am I setting myself to do permanent damage to the firearm?? Other than being extremely filthy...

johnr1943 09-27-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlee0812 (Post 1385832)
I have an m&p 15TS... I've got 3000 plus rounds down the pipe with no issues.... I lube it after each trip and thoroughly clean it about each 150-200. I want to see exactly how many rounds with lubing in between each session only... it takes to get to Malfunction... my question is... am I setting myself to do permanent damage to the firearm?? Other than being extremely filthy...

For my $.02, no. :)

jlee0812 09-27-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnr1943 (Post 1385835)

For my $.02, no. :)

No as in don't attempt it... or no damage.. a coworker of mine who served in Afghanistan said if I plan to lube between firing... I'm going to be waiting a while... as he's had rifle's run a whole deployment with a detail.. just lubed

SSGN_Doc 09-28-2013 03:39 AM

A few articles out there on AR tests with no cleaning. One was done on a Bravo Co. AR by a tactical shooting school (can't remember which one). They did pretty much what you are talking about. Ran it in courses, lubed it, but did no cleaning. It had well over 10,000 rounds through it.

Hope you're patient. And hope you understand that when you do actually do get around to cleaning it, ghat it will truly be a chore.

John_Deer 09-28-2013 04:02 AM

I shoot my Ruger P95 until it has gobs of dirt and powder in it. Cleaning it is just locking the slide back and removing the magazine. Then I spray it with CLP and compressed air. It's usually nice and shiny without any more cleaning.

Vikingdad 09-28-2013 04:12 AM

What is the point? Probably every imaginable torture test that can be conceived (and some that shouldn't have been) has already been done. Are you planning something different?

JonM 09-28-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1386097)
A few articles out there on AR tests with no cleaning. One was done on a Bravo Co. AR by a tactical shooting school (can't remember which one). They did pretty much what you are talking about. Ran it in courses, lubed it, but did no cleaning. It had well over 10,000 rounds through it.

Hope you're patient. And hope you understand that when you do actually do get around to cleaning it, ghat it will truly be a chore.

That rifle went over 30000 rounds before failing.

No your not going to do damage to anything but your ammo supply.

lifeguardkliff 09-28-2013 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
A few articles out there on AR tests with no cleaning. One was done on a Bravo Co. AR by a tactical shooting school (can't remember which one). They did pretty much what you are talking about. Ran it in courses, lubed it, but did no cleaning. It had well over 10,000 rounds through it. Hope you're patient. And hope you understand that when you do actually do get around to cleaning it, ghat it will truly be a chore.

Look up dirty 14 on ar15.com they have the whole article on there they ran something like 1500 rounds without cleaning it

John_Deer 09-28-2013 04:37 AM

M4 rifles recently have shot 5,000 rounds without cleaning or lubrication. We have all these high tech lubricants that claim to last forever. They have to do some gnarly tests to top the last guys test.

Mercator 09-28-2013 01:11 PM

I think most AR owners would hate to do it to their own rifles. But if that's your gig, expect the fouling/oil mix heated and cooled repeatedly to turn into tar. Scrubbing it off to combat readiness in one thing, making the rifle clean is another.