Making my own lower - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Making my own lower

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 767 Times on 409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA

Can you make a gun and then register it as an sbr?
As far as the 80% lowers- You are allowed to produce for personal use,49 firearms annually, 3 of which can be pistols. You still have to abide by federal and state laws on configurations.If you were to try to sell it, you would have to voluntarily serialize it and register it. Without a serial number that weapon can only be used,owned, stored by you. Once the lower is serialized, then based on the state laws you can register it as an SBR. The Rifle Act of 1968 is not that clear in the guidelines but it does give us the right to make our own weapons. So the rest of the guidelines come from ATF, and state laws. As far as serializing, although 80% lowers don't need a serial, I would still put some marking in it. I have a friend who is a L.E.O , and some one in his department confiscated a non-serialized weapon. Although it was unlawful for them to take it, the gun owner has had a pain fighting to get it back. There is no proof of ownership , as far as they are concerned it could be an illegally transferred weapon. To be safe I marked my lower under the pistol grips and took pictures of the markings . Took pictures of me milling it , printed out the rifle act of 1968, and the receipt of the 80% lower purchase. I'm covered if I get jacked!