Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Making my own lower

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Making my own lower

I recently read a post about people buying 80% lower receivers and machining the trigger pocket and pin holes.. I was wondering if I could take my New Frontier Lower, strip it, and then cast a mold out of it at the plastic shop at my work? Would that still be legal to do without needing a serial number if it was only for me?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrentzero
I recently read a post about people buying 80% lower receivers and machining the trigger pocket and pin holes.. I was wondering if I could take my New Frontier Lower, strip it, and then cast a mold out of it at the plastic shop at my work? Would that still be legal to do without needing a serial number if it was only for me?
Far as I know yes. You can whittle it out of wood if you want. Legally you cannot sell it, transfer it without a serial number.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Far as I know yes. You can whittle it out of wood if you want. Legally you cannot sell it, transfer it without a serial number.
To sell them you would also need a manufacturers license, but the atf says that one can legally make a gun for personal use

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #4

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post

To sell them you would also need a manufacturers license, but the atf says that one can legally make a gun for personal use
So if you make a firearm for personal use can you make any modifications to it as you please

Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig

So if you make a firearm for personal use can you make any modifications to it as you please
You have to follow the NFA and all state and local laws.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #6

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:

You have to follow the NFA and all state and local laws.
I seen somewhere that sum guys pitched in together and got a cnc machine and they said something about no rules if its personal use....im going to check into this

Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig

I seen somewhere that sum guys pitched in together and got a cnc machine and they said something about no rules if its personal use....im going to check into this
They are wrong, you cant make it full auto or an sbr unless you register it as an sbr

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20020 Times on 11383 Posts
Likes Given: 50509

you can make a firearm as long as it's legal to own. such as it still has to meet certain criteria. you can't make a SBR, SBS, or FA firearm from scratch. but if it meets certain guidelines you may make one from raw materials. has to meet the same guidelines as what you may legally purchase.

take a piece of round bar stock and machine a reciever and built a bolt action hunting rifle or target rifle and that's legal.

those 60 and 80% lowers and frames are legal to buy according to the ATF, they are not frames or recievers, but a chunk of metal. they can not be bought and machined into a firearm with the intentions of selling, as that comes under manufactoring and that requires a FFL to do. but yes, you can sell one. EG.: two years down the road, you tire of it and a buddy wants to purchase it so you can build something, then you can sell it, just like any other firearm you own. this is because it was not made for the intentions of making to sell for profit or as a business of.

now here's a sticky part of it also with these 80% frames. you personally have to do the work for it to be legal. your machinist buddy can't do it for you to make it legally. he can instruct and mentor you, but you have to do all the work for it to be legal to make.

problem is with many of these, many people think this would be an easy way to have firearms without a serial number. true to some extent, but without the proper machining equipment and the skills required, most of these are doomed for failure.

Quentin Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
you can make a firearm as long as it's legal to own. such as it still has to meet certain criteria. you can't make a SBR, SBS, or FA firearm from scratch. but if it meets certain guidelines you may make one from raw materials. has to meet the same guidelines as what you may legally purchase.

take a piece of round bar stock and machine a reciever and built a bolt action hunting rifle or target rifle and that's legal.

those 60 and 80% lowers and frames are legal to buy according to the ATF, they are not frames or recievers, but a chunk of metal. they can not be bought and machined into a firearm with the intentions of selling, as that comes under manufactoring and that requires a FFL to do. but yes, you can sell one. EG.: two years down the road, you tire of it and a buddy wants to purchase it so you can build something, then you can sell it, just like any other firearm you own. this is because it was not made for the intentions of making to sell for profit or as a business of.

now here's a sticky part of it also with these 80% frames. you personally have to do the work for it to be legal. your machinist buddy can't do it for you to make it legally. he can instruct and mentor you, but you have to do all the work for it to be legal to make.

problem is with many of these, many people think this would be an easy way to have firearms without a serial number. true to some extent, but without the proper machining equipment and the skills required, most of these are doomed for failure.
Can you make a gun and then register it as an sbr?

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20020 Times on 11383 Posts
Likes Given: 50509

Quote:
Can you make a gun and then register it as an sbr?
reread my last post on this and figure it out. spelled out very clearly.