Making a clone of my ar15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Making a clone of my ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Making a clone of my ar15

Hello, I'm looking for a cheap, reliable .22lr ar15 to make an EXACT clone of my current 5.56mm AR15. Now, all the accessories are commonplace, so I'm not worried about that, but the AR15 .22lr models I've seen are all pure flattops, and I have a M4A1 styled DPMS ( DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. )

Does anyone know where to find a .22 verison of this rifle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #2

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Here you go - CMMG Rimfire Conversion Kit AR-15 with Three 26-Round Magazines 22 Long Rifle Matte - MidwayUSA

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #3

Thanks, but I've looked into these and what I'm looking for, I wanna get a Completely separate dedicated .22lr Ar15, such as this ( DPMS Panther AP-4 .22LR Training Rifle ) i can deal with the removable top handle, which i do not like and mine does not have, but i cannot seem to find one of these .22lr DPMS rifles anywhere.

To answer any questions why a separate .22 rifle, 3 reasons:
1. because I'll be training pretty hard and dont wanna wear out my 5.56mm before it needs to be
2. the conversion kits are generally more prone to jamming and less accurate than the dedicated rifles.
3. both can be used at the same time.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #4

You can build it.

Start with one of these:22lr A2 Carbine Barrel

Then this:A3 Upper

Then this:22lr bolt and mag

All on a standard lower

Folks at Model 1 ARE GREAT to work with!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5986 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausersurgeon View Post
Thanks, but I've looked into these and what I'm looking for, I wanna get a Completely separate dedicated .22lr Ar15, such as this ( DPMS Panther AP-4 .22LR Training Rifle ) i can deal with the removable top handle, which i do not like and mine does not have, but i cannot seem to find one of these .22lr DPMS rifles anywhere.

To answer any questions why a separate .22 rifle, 3 reasons:
1. because I'll be training pretty hard and dont wanna wear out my 5.56mm before it needs to be
2. the conversion kits are generally more prone to jamming and less accurate than the dedicated rifles.
3. both can be used at the same time.

my opinion.

as for your points:

1. you wont wear out a AR15 5.56 barrel shooting 22lr through it the bullet is very soft and low pressure so there is pretty much 0 wear.

2. the cmmg kit is the most reliable 22lr ive ever come across if the box is marked 22LR it will cycle just fine with very good accuracy out to its max effective range of 100yds. compairing the CMMG conversion i have to the most reliable complete 22LR on the market, ruger 10/22, i would give the nod to the cmmg 22LR conversion. the ciener and atchisson models look similar but they do not function nearly as good as the CMMG.

3. save yourself a ton of bucks and just make a dedicated upper. if you feel the need for a total second rifle you can buy the lower later.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my opinion.

as for your points:

1. you wont wear out a AR15 5.56 barrel shooting 22lr through it the bullet is very soft and low pressure so there is pretty much 0 wear.

2. the cmmg kit is the most reliable 22lr ive ever come across if the box is marked 22LR it will cycle just fine with very good accuracy out to its max effective range of 100yds. compairing the CMMG conversion i have to the most reliable complete 22LR on the market, ruger 10/22, i would give the nod to the cmmg 22LR conversion. the ciener and atchisson models look similar but they do not function nearly as good as the CMMG.

3. save yourself a ton of bucks and just make a dedicated upper. if you feel the need for a total second rifle you can buy the lower later.
I wasn't refering to wearing out the barrel, just the wear and tear of hard training. I've already gone through two recoil spring tubes and one adjustable stock, and each time the weapon was down for at least 2 weeks.

I agree that the Cmmg are awesome compared to others on the market. I have one, but.....

I'm looking just to get a good Clone of the rifle i have in 5.56mm, not convert the one i have, cuz i can do that already. The idea of building my own is not a bad one, just hoping there is one already with the same layout, since it is a fairly basic layout without my accessories.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausersurgeon View Post
I wasn't refering to wearing out the barrel, just the wear and tear of hard training. I've already gone through two recoil spring tubes and one adjustable stock, and each time the weapon was down for at least 2 weeks.

I agree that the Cmmg are awesome compared to others on the market. I have one, but.....

I'm looking just to get a good Clone of the rifle i have in 5.56mm, not convert the one i have, cuz i can do that already. The idea of building my own is not a bad one, just hoping there is one already with the same layout, since it is a fairly basic layout without my accessories.
Who was the manufacture of these worn out parts? How many rounds did you go through to wear them out? And where are you ordering your parts that its taking two weeks to get them running again?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Who was the manufacture of these worn out parts? How many rounds did you go through to wear them out? And where are you ordering your parts that its taking two weeks to get them running again?
not just shooting.
A stock and spring tube was ruined when a vehicle door was slammed on it during a dismounting exercise. poof, instant m4 club. did the rest of the drill with my .45. it was a DPMS panther stock collapsible stock, but it wasn't a design flaw, just a hard hit by a car door. crap happens, ordered another from DPMS. shipping time and then free time to install was a little under 2 weeks.

another spring tube was ruined when a moron friend of mine decided to toss it over a pile of cinder blocks. I decided too see how far i could throw HIM. had to wait for him to order another stock.

as for my ar15, ive fired thousands of rounds of 5.56, .223, and .22lr with little to no wear of the internal parts, but i was looking for a good clone for training because, well..... crap happens. and it would be better for crap to happen to a cheap(er) rifle than my AR15, and then if it did, i could still use my ar while the other is being repaired.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
You can build it.

Start with one of these:22lr A2 Carbine Barrel

Then this:A3 Upper

Then this:22lr bolt and mag

All on a standard lower

Folks at Model 1 ARE GREAT to work with!!!
looking at this here, i could do well making a .22 upper and i have a dealer here that is selling lowers CHEAP. $120 plus $75 for a parts kit and collapsible stock from dpms, just like mine.
still looking at finding a complete rifle, to see if would be cheaper, while i weigh my options.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #10

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Well if you want a dedicated .22 M4 clone I bought one of the Colt/Walther/Umarex M4 .22lrs and it's very much like an M4, even weighs about 6 pounds and does come with a removable carry handle. The bad thing is the selector lever, forward assist and external BHO don't function exactly like a real M4. The S&W version doesn't look as much like the M4 but the selector and BHO work the same. It is much lighter.

Anyway, I've had excellent luck with the Colt and it was $459. I've seen it for $399 since. The S&W can be found for less.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.