Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   mags (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/mags-53685/)

Simpleman 12-16-2011 09:14 AM

mags

ok folks I have a delema. I dont know which mags to use for my carbon bushmaster, I currently have gi mags and tapco mags. which my gi mags has not given me any problems. but my tapco mags are no good I can not put a full mag into my rifle. which is a huge problem for me because I go hog hunting alot and I do not want to think that I have 30 rounds when in reality i have 25. See what I am saying? I am intrested in two different brands of mags. which they are the pmags and the lancer sysems L5 AWM and i was currious to see y'alls input so please help me come to a conclusion. thank yall very much

Marlinman 12-16-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simpleman
ok folks I have a delema. I dont know which mags to use for my carbon bushmaster, I currently have gi mags and tapco mags. which my gi mags has not given me any problems. but my tapco mags are no good I can not put a full mag into my rifle. which is a huge problem for me because I go hog hunting alot and I do not want to think that I have 30 rounds when in reality i have 25. See what I am saying? I am intrested in two different brands of mags. which they are the pmags and the lancer sysems L5 AWM and i was currious to see y'alls input so please help me come to a conclusion. thank yall very much

My DD loves the pmags. Never tried your other option. Iv had no issues with the pmags-beyond i should have bought more when i caught them on sale;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Powersportgiant 12-16-2011 12:57 PM

+1 on the pmag. The maglevel ones are nice.

dragunovsks 12-16-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powersportgiant
+1 on the pmag. The maglevel ones are nice.

Im another happy pmag user, you can fill them to max capacity with no function problems and they carry a lifetime warranty. They come in several different colors, black, coyote tan and od green i think and maybe more colors. They come with a pop off dust cover and you can buy rubber loops that attach to the bottom of them that makes pulling them out of mag pouches on tactical vests easier. Some have a clear plastic window in the side so you can see your rounds and some dont. I paid 12 bucks for mine with window at a gunshow but ive seen them go for up to 18 and usually about 10 to 15 bucks for the ones without the window. I currently only have one, only bought one to try it out and plan on getting a few more.

They are made of plastic but very tough plastic and you are not gonna damage them. The only thing i dont like about the ones with the window is the window doesnt go all the way down the side of the mag so you have to have over half a mag before you can see any rounds in it. Id save the extra couple bucks and go windowless, when i get more thats what im doing.

rjgnwdc 12-16-2011 03:07 PM

Can't go wrong with Magpul

Ditto the Pmag CTD has them for $10.95 to $14.95 I bought several BM tin or aluminum mags and they suck I'd stay away from those.

MrWray 12-16-2011 04:39 PM

+1 pmags...

AgentTikki 12-16-2011 05:03 PM

Can you load your tapco mags to full and use them on a different AR?

Quentin 12-16-2011 05:07 PM

Another +1 on PMags.

Now for the Carbon 15, I assume they'll work in it. My buddy has a C-15 but only uses BM and GI mags. We never thought to try polymer in the composite magwell but it should work. Did you ever try the Tapcos in a standard AR? I suppose if you want ultra cheap, give the passable for the field Thermolds that go for about $7 (30rd) or $4 (20rd) at Sportsmans Warehouse, etc.

FCross7 12-16-2011 05:13 PM

There's no doubt that PMags are good. I've used them and have had mostly good results. However, in my opinion, the Lancers are better.

I have only used PMags in the past, but recently picked up an L5, and I must say that I am going to be switching out all my mags to L5s. They're lighter than PMags. I like the texture of the L5 better. They have steel feed lips, and the locking tab on the magazine is steel as well. One problem I've had with PMags is rounds fall out when a full mag is dropped. This is not an issue with the L5. The L5 is also narrower at the base than the PMag which I like.

Most people will tell you to buy PMags, and that's fine, but I believe PMags are only more popular than L5s because Magpul is a better known company and they Market better than Lancer. If people would try the L5 AWM, I bet they would like them better.

On that note, I encourage everyone to buy one and give it a shot, you might be surprised at how much you like it.

-Fred

MrWray 12-16-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7
There's no doubt that PMags are good. I've used them and have had mostly good results. However, in my opinion, the Lancers are better.

I have only used PMags in the past, but recently picked up an L5, and I must say that I am going to be switching out all my mags to L5s. They're lighter than PMags. I like the texture of the L5 better. They have steel feed lips, and the locking tab on the magazine is steel as well. One problem I've had with PMags is rounds fall out when a full mag is dropped. This is not an issue with the L5. The L5 is also narrower at the base than the PMag which I like.

Most people will tell you to buy PMags, and that's fine, but I believe PMags are only more popular than L5s because Magpul is a better known company and they Market better than Lancer. If people would try the L5 AWM, I bet they would like them better.

On that note, I encourage everyone to buy one and give it a shot, you might be surprised at how much you like it.

-Fred

Can you post a pic of one bro? I really want to see one.i may give them a try myself,im always willing to try something