You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Magpul MBUS PRO 2 Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Magpul MBUS PRO 2 Modifications

I am an avid pistol and competition clays shooter, however I felt I needed to find out what the AR hype was all about. Had my AR-15 for about 2 weeks now and have put about 2,000 rounds through it. I'm an avid fan of iron sights and have the new Magpul MBUS PRO 2 and love them. However, my dominate eye is weak and hard to pickup front sight.

I alway paint my iron sights on my over/under and pistols. Has anyone every painted their Iron Sight posts or do they have drop in posts I can screw in to replace OEM post on the front sight??

Thanks for any assistance guys! Really excited to be a beginner again and learn all about this amazing weapons system!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #2

Liked 1127 Times on 744 Posts

I have seen different front sights for ARs. I know someone out there makes a fiber optic post too. If you use the google you will find a bunch of options. But if you are used to painting your front sights then that would be a good quick and cheap solution. If it were me I'd just paint it. Because eventually you'll end up with a nice red dot on there anyway. Get something with a nice QD mount and you can use your irons whenever you want.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Waterfalls View Post
I am an avid pistol and competition clays shooter, however I felt I needed to find out what the AR hype was all about. Had my AR-15 for about 2 weeks now and have put about 2,000 rounds through it. I'm an avid fan of iron sights and have the new Magpul MBUS PRO 2 and love them. However, my dominate eye is weak and hard to pickup front sight.

I alway paint my iron sights on my over/under and pistols. Has anyone every painted their Iron Sight posts or do they have drop in posts I can screw in to replace OEM post on the front sight??

Thanks for any assistance guys! Really excited to be a beginner again and learn all about this amazing weapons system!
Is this what you seek?

https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AR15SFS-MP-08LG

Old 01-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7380 Times on 3940 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Waterfalls View Post

i do a lot of precision shooting with irons on my rock river arms national match ar15. i hit the front sight with flat black model paint and a coat of flat lacquer. when shooting precision with irons on a rifle you want the least shiny blackest black you can get. it will stand out on paper at a longest distance and flatness prevents shine which will distort your sight picture.

if your rifle is hunting or self defense you want the opposite. you want to pick up the sights fast and being off a little from glare you get off a colored sight does not matter

two different tasks
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the awesome ideas guys and I did see those screw in posts already colored. Really clean look and not expensive.

My new setup is the irons with a red dot running as a cowitness I believe is the terminology.

I love the setup because I can keep my irons stock matte finish and "paint" that red dot right on top of the post such as Cardiac mentioned. The assurance my head is in the correct position is a plus too!

Thanks again for the replys

Old 01-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #6

Liked 1127 Times on 744 Posts

Sounds like a solid set up. The red dot is a lot of fun once you get used to it. I had mine on my Mini14 for a while and it was a revelation how fast I could change POA at 50-100' and still shoot groups in a golfball size or so hole. I'd use a target with 4 corner bulls and a center bull and just wear it out.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #7

Liked 50 Times on 44 Posts

I have a jar of orange paint I have used on my sights for years