Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > magpul handguard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default magpul handguard

I just bought an m4 style ar. It does not have sights and i want mbus incase the optic wears out while in use. What i want to know is, if i buy an MOE handguard and get a rail section and put it on top and mount the front sight to that, will it be on the same level as the rear? Or will the front sight be too high to get a zero? I can't get a good look at the moe to see if it looks right for a front sight. I know i'm not suposed to put the mbus on the gas block and i want to get the moe instead of a quad rail. Just want to make sure it will work before i buy it. Any other ideas welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

No top rail;

Product Information
Combining the light weight of a standard 2-piece hand guard with the flexibility to add picatinny rail, the MOE has slots at two, ten, and six o'clock positions for attaching rail for lights, lasers, and vertical grips. Extensions on the sides and a lower lip protect the operator from a hot gas block and barrel. Molded from reinforced, heat resistant polymer for durability and light weight.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I don't recommend putting an MBUS on a gas block....plastic melts.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #4

Ok. I must have missed those specs. Change of plans. What is a good brand for a quad rail? I want something that won't move around but under $50 or so.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just a suggestion...instead of buying a handguard just to use an MBUS, how about buying a quality sight to use on your railed gas block?

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #6

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

You aren't going to get a GOOD or NON-MOVING, quadrail for $50 or less. As was already sugested, get the Magpul rear BUIS, then get a metal front BUIS to put on your gas block.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

With a gas block you are going to have to use a free float type handguard. That's going to put you over $100. look at Yankee Hill Machine, particularly the YHM-5005. I've seen those for as low as $114 shipped.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 11-21-2012 at 03:44 PM.