Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Magpul CTR stock stuck on buffer tube....Need to Remove.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 915 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Yeah it would bother me that I bought a rifle with a claim of the milspec size receiver then buy the proper CTR only to find out the original claim was not true. I'd run this by Stag first - and if they agree to replace the tube, have them also replace their original stock for milspec size too in case you ever go back to their M4 stock.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I bought the lower several years ago, so I wonder how that would work. Hmmm....

I posted the stock on GB. I may just buy the commercial version.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I believe Magpul will swap it out for a commercial size if you contact CS. Maybe a better move is to get a milspec tube, up to you...

ETA:
I also thought Stag used milspec diameter but guess anything can happen. Might be worth a call to Stag. If they say it's milspec on their site they should make it right.
Can a commercial tube simply be swapped for a milspec or vice versa? Isn't the threading different?

Old 04-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnoob View Post
Can a commercial tube simply be swapped for a milspec or vice versa? Isn't the threading different?
Threads in the lower are the same so you can use either tube. Simple swap unless they gooped up the threads with loctite, etc.

Anyway, it's up to you. The commercial CTR will work but if it were me I'd keep the milspec CTR and fix the extension instead.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #15

I thought Stags came with mil-spec tubes?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgand72 View Post
I thought Stags came with mil-spec tubes?
Pretty sure Stag does now but this one was bought a while back. Guess it never hurts to contact them.

Since either the CTR or extension has to be swapped this is another reason to go to the smaller size, to upgrade to Stag's current spec.

______

Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

How I removed a mil spec MOE stock from a commercial tube
http://youtu.be/ZnnOaniXBT4

Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #18

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I have a general practice of purchasing and installing the buttstock as an assembly, with the tube, buffer, spring, spanner nut, etc. Less likely to have issues such as this. I know at this point it's like hindsight being 20/20, but it comes from lessons learned. I had an issue a while back where I got the stock (Magpul CTR) from one source, and the rest from someone else. The fit was so tight I ended up taking a wire wheel on my drill press to the stock for a few seconds, then greasing the stock up to get the stock to slide back and forth smoothly. I told the supplier,and they no longer buy from that vendor. I decided at that point it wasn't worth the money I saved to buy the stock separate from the rest of the assembly.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin