Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Magpul CTR stock stuck on buffer tube....Need to Remove. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/magpul-ctr-stock-stuck-buffer-tube-need-remove-41260/)

ARnoob 04-14-2011 01:24 PM

Magpul CTR stock stuck on buffer tube....Need to Remove.

Last night I attempted to install my new CTR stock on my Stag lower. I checked to make sure (website and measuring) that I order the correct milspec CTR stock for my Stag milspec buffer tube. Well, I was so excited to install the CTR stock that I did not read the instructions about pulling down the metal posts on each side of the locking pin in order to install the CTR stock.

I got the stock about 1/4 of the way on the buffer tube and now it's stuck.

I have since tried to pull down themetal posts on each side of the locking pin, and I'm able to do so, but the stock is not budging.

Could you guys provide me with some assistance?

Thanks.

WoodysKJ 04-14-2011 01:43 PM

Unfortunately I would suggest: 1.877.4MAGPUL

Trying anything else MIGHT void any warranty you still have.

ARnoob 04-14-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodysKJ (Post 486209)
Unfortunately I would suggest: 1.877.4MAGPUL

Trying anything else MIGHT void any warranty you still have.

Thanks. I'll give them a call.

mjkeat 04-14-2011 02:17 PM

I usually use a screw driver to depress one side of the metal stud. Make sure the locking mech. isnt engaged then give the stud a nice little pry.

Quentin 04-14-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 486227)
I usually use a screw driver to depress one side of the metal stud. Make sure the locking mech. isnt engaged then give the stud a nice little pry.

I'd think that would work. I was surprised how hard it was to put the CTR on the first time. It was pretty snug even before the friction lever was closed, and those mounting studs are hard to work by hand.

You're 100% sure the tube is milspec?

mjkeat 04-14-2011 05:51 PM

Ive never had a problem w/ a CTR or ACS, which have the same set-up, using a screw driver to assist coaxing the studs into compliance.

I too am wondering if the extension is the correct diam. I wonder if its not the locking mech. but its the stock jammed up on the extension. I dont know how tight it would get but it possibly could be tight enough you'll need to put it in a vise.

ARnoob 04-14-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 486296)
I'd think that would work. I was surprised how hard it was to put the CTR on the first time. It was pretty snug even before the friction lever was closed, and those mounting studs are hard to work by hand.

I thought that it was, but I'm going to double check for sure.

ARnoob 04-15-2011 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 486296)

Inspection FAIL on my part. Sure enough, I have a commercial tube. So, on that note.....would anyone like to purchase a fully functional CTR milspec stock?

Quentin 04-15-2011 04:28 AM

I believe Magpul will swap it out for a commercial size if you contact CS. Maybe a better move is to get a milspec tube, up to you...

ETA:
I also thought Stag used milspec diameter but guess anything can happen. Might be worth a call to Stag. If they say it's milspec on their site they should make it right.

mjkeat 04-15-2011 05:18 AM

Once again Ill agree w/ Quentin. Id swap out the extension instead of the stock.