Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > magnified optics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default magnified optics?

As of right now i have a 2 ar 15's and i need a nice magnified optic on my devil dog ar-15, what would you guys suggest in looking into, ive been looking at Leupold optics as of right now, but id like to hear some feed back on what you guys think?!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If you have the cash to spend on a leupold then go for it. What magnification range are you looking for? What distance will you be shooting?

Old 05-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5271 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Here is my take on leupold.

Back a couple decades there werent any good durable scopes to be had. We didnt have 3 gun type competitions or a desert war going on so the most a scope needed to be was good nuff for a once a year deer hunt. Leupold was the best of the lot.

Flash forward to now leupold hasnt changed a whit. They are living off arep earned when there wasnt an option and have not upgraded and still are producing daddy's deer scope with a name like "mark ar".

While more than adequate for deer getting and range trips there are better options giving the same quality at a lower price point or better value at the same price point. Companies like nikon, vortex, niteforce, trijicon to name a few.

There are others but i dont want to write a listamile long.

Any way just my personal opinion on leupold.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Leupold is at the top of my list.

Burris is another good brand.

Redfield is Leupold's step-down brand, pretty good stuff for the cost.

All the above is just MHO. There are other brands that perform.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #5

well with my AR's ill most likely be shooting 100 yards at most away, but as of right now im looking at getting either a savage model F 10 FCP .308 and i have a couple 30 ought 6's so i mean if the optic is worthy enough id really like to put something nice on my savage model F 10 for ranges at 100 yards+ so nightforce i know makes some nice optics but im looking for something thats going to standout and put me infront of all the other competition and i will pay a pretty penny for the optic so i mean nothing extreme but i will pay for what ill get out of the optic.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Burris has a pretty good optic for the price. Check into their prism sights. I've had experience with them and they are great. The 3 x would be the way to go for he distance you are shooting. They are also a lot cheaper than leupolds. Also, you can't go wrong with a trijicon either.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

yeah i mean price isnt a real big deal but i mean i want a quality optic but yeah fersure ill check into Burris's optics! and there 3 x what down range distance have you fired it or could be fired at?!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I highly recommend looking at the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20 Illuminated SPR-G Reticle scope. Best scope for the money IMO.

Got it from Primary Arms with a ADM Scout mount. No regrets whatsoever.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Leupold_1_5_4x20mm_Leupold_Mark_AR_Mod_1_Riflescop _p/lp115387.htm

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #9

and with that leupold it would be fitting for more a AR style'd rifle?!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Most any optical scope for 200 to 300 dollars will shoot 100 yards plus just fine. The more expensive scopes will make you be able to do that in Pre-dawn conditions, etc.
Do you have any intentions of shooting before the sun comes up, or after it has gone down? That is where the costs get really crazy is, to make the scope see gather more light to be able to see, while the cheaper scopes won't be able to do that.
Unless you are on a hunt trying to get that trophy, i'd suggest going to any box store and hold each one you like and decide which reticle you like best.
Unless you do your homework and know what each dot means ion a BDC type reticle, they are useless, where a regular + shaped reticle will work just fine.

Also, I prefer something like a 3x9x40 over a 4x12x40 just because of the conditions where I shoot can be pretty thick forests, and something with a lower setting will still be useful in forests, where a larger scope wont be able to focus. if you are just at a range or on an open prairie, a 4x or more will work great.