Magazine Spring Integrity
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Magazine Spring Integrity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Magazine Spring Integrity

How long can you leave magazines fully loaded before working about spring integrity?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Indefinitely, its the constant compression and decompression that will wear the springs, not being loaded and fully compressed. I keep all my mags loaded all time, for years no problems.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc
Indefinitely, its the constant compression and decompression that will wear the springs, not being loaded and fully compressed. I keep all my mags loaded all time, for years no problems.
Great thanks do much. Didn't think of it like that

Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

He is correct. It's the action that weakens the spring.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6364 Times on 3376 Posts
Likes Given: 470

those that argue that springs wear out while they are compressed are arguing against the laws of physics. kinda like claiming objects in a vaccum fall at different rates because they are painted a certain color.

works like this:

laydown on your side stretch your leg out straight. leave it there see how tired you get after an hour. then pull your leg in and leave it bent for an hour see how tired your leg is. then straighten and bend your leg continously for an hour. which activity makes your leg the most tired??

springs work in a similar fashion. they only wear out doing repeated work or are bent beyound their designed limits. kinda like bending your leg past its comfortable range

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #6

Liked 336 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Aha, then why are tubular magazine never supposed to be fully loaded when stored?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #7

Liked 3739 Times on 1827 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Aha, then why are tubular magazine never supposed to be fully loaded when stored?
so one is not supposed to store a shotgun fully loaded? never heard that before ... i don't know, I'd rather know I have a full load in the shotty than leave a shell out

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9952 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1574

For some RIFLES with tubular magazines (not all, I SAID some) leaving them loaded for a LONG time can cause the bullets to start to push back into the cartridge case. Does not hurt the spring.

Documenteted case of a 1911 that had been left with a loaded magazine for an insane period of time- well over 50 years. Testers thumbed off the safety, and fired 7 rounds without a glitch.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #9

Liked 336 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For some RIFLES with tubular magazines (not all, I SAID some) leaving them loaded for a LONG time can cause the bullets to start to push back into the cartridge case. Does not hurt the spring.

Documenteted case of a 1911 that had been left with a loaded magazine for an insane period of time- well over 50 years. Testers thumbed off the safety, and fired 7 rounds without a glitch.
Ding ging gin winner winner chicken dinner

Old 04-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have always heard that the problem with leaving a magazine (rifle or pistol) loaded for extended periods was damage to the feed lips. The constant pressure could deform them. This would seem to be more of an issue with aluminum mags. The dust covers on p-mags supposedly prevent this by putting downward pressure on the loaded rounds. I don't know how much of an issue this is though, I have a couple of Glock mags that have been loaded (when not at the range being shot) for close to 20 years and still function flawlessly.