Magazine question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Magazine question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Default Magazine question

Fairly new to ARs and have a question about AR magazines. I hear a lot about magazine followers, particularly the different colors like grey, green, orange, etc. What exactly is the difference, is there one that's considered better than the others and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 218 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I myself until now don't know the differences. But i think it's just for user preferences of using whst kind of ammo in the mags. Like penetrstor ammo, tracer ammo and etc.
But for sure Magpul followers are the best out there. They can be used in some steel/ aluminium mags.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8888 Times on 3848 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Donk- when the mag is loaded, you can't see the follower.

In a nutshell, not all magazine are created equal. Some military mags are actually considered to be, well.... disposable. Some have a follower that does not tilt fore/aft. Color is a clue to the make and to some degree, quality of the mag.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 218 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Donk- when the mag is loaded, you can't see the follower.
You are right!, i didn't think about that. Haha my bad

Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5690 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Color only matters in some magazines. Mainly magpul and milsurps. In those its to determine ata glance what version that magazine is. Currently in the military everything with a black follower is to be turned in for replacement with updated magazines.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #6

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Well the Army says "Tan is the plan, green starts to lean, black take it back." (Use the tan and green.) Magpul followers for GI mags are excellent of course.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #7

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 107

FYI, I have another rifle that uses AR mags and follower color has never been a consideration. I have several aluminum/steel magazines that have green, a couple with orange followers and I have never had a magazine related problem. OTOH, I got an M&P-15 just before the shooting in Newtown happened last month and it came with Pmags. Before the the prices started to jump I got about a half dozen more ($12 each) since they came OEM with the rifle and the followers are black like the mags. They all seem to work okay in the other gun, but I now have the S&W and after reading a number of posts about green vs. orange vs. grey followers I was curious if it had to do with manufacturer code, mag capacity, design differences, or something else. So far I've shot a little over 100 rounds through various mags, mostly the Pmags, and they all seem to work fine.

Last edited by rachilders; 01-25-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 459

I'm still waiting for the pink with purple polka dot followers to come out, but MagPul says it might be awhile before those are released.

Your PMAG magazines, irrespective of follower color, should function as intended and give fewer problems than the cheap (or expensive) aluminum ones. Apart from that, trust MagPul that the weapon compatibility listing on the packaging is not a suggestion.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Black is the standard (old) follower for the 30 rd GI mags.
Green is the first gen enhanced (anti-tilt) follower
There are others like orange and gray, but the green is pretty darn good. ALL my 30's have enhanced springs and green followers

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball